MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Apparently the courtesy cars for British Fashion Week are also MGRs. R75s I think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contacted the BBMF asking for a photograph of the cars. Received an answer phone message today, I called back and was politely told not to bother them again (e-mailed them twice). To think I spent 19 years in the RAF - two wars and 4 medals later!

The Squadron Leader mentioned that it could be embarrasing for them to have sponsorship - why oh why are Rover giving them nice new R75 tourers then?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Jerry, that is just incredible.......What on earth are they doing with the cars then, and perhaps MGR should be made aware they are not keen to discuss the sponsorship!
Could MGR supply pics of the cars?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave

I have asked MGR to comment. The Sqn Ldr was actually a little unpleasant and rather condescending (won't say any more).

He said the deal reciprocated by mentioning Rover on the back of their airshow literature???

I won't say anymore, until I hear from MGR!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
>The Sqn Ldr was actually a little unpleasant and rather condescending<
thats the RAF for you!
you wouldn't get that trouble with army officers :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Well thats typical of an RAF Officer. Pomposs old git. Who on earth do these people really think they are! What have they to hide if sponsorship is known to all and sundry. Will have to go to the base and see if I can get "our" pics!

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JIM

I agree - if the guy wanted total control why not send flattering pictures. I find it very strange, on the one count they are happy to take free "wheels".

On the other they want to deny it, until you see the promo literature (I imagine Rover will be in very small print on the reverse). Hopefully, I am wrong. A bit of a publications nightmare, if you ask me?

Finally, I was proud to have served in the RAF, without flying training I would be out of a job - this type of person is very untypical I assure you.

As an aside - the RED DEVILS at Brize Norton are very proud to drive Vauxhalls - their logos are emblazoned all over their vehicles! :D

PS. Get those pictures JIM. Do you need the Triumph Speed Triple to get OVER the wire - alah Steve McQueen?

PSS. They have a Tourer and a ZTT during the flying season.

PSSS. May have some pictures for you soon - either here or on site. Will add a page displaying who/what sponsored at some stage!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DON'T get caught taking pictures of the Lancaster as this is now back in production and is to be offered to the RAF as a new Tanker/Transport aircraft:eek: A prototype is also being tested as a VVIP aircraft to ferry Tony the PM on his many overseas trips (except Germany as it may be seen as not "PC" and may scare away the locals):eek:

This would be the ONLY reason that I can think of for the Squabbling Bleader to be on the offensive:mad:

So be warned, he will set his security dogs on to you in case you are a spy from Boeing or Airbus and want to steal their Advanced Reconnaissance/Support Entity (ARSE) ideas:eek:

The Rover in question is fitted with high security door and boot locks (never used) to protect the occupants belongings (Laptop!), thus preventing them getting into the "wrong hands", as we know that our senior officers are very careful to protect secrets of the country (unless looking for a new car in London a few years ago:eek:).

The above could all be rubbish, the guy could just be a buffoon who has ideas above his station and who has forgotten who pays his wages :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Denzil

A fantastic first post. I still don't pocess a picture of ARSE with a Rover 75 Tourer in the foreground!

My basic thoughts are that you and I should have their 75 Tourer and ZT-T - I'm sure we could advertise better than the stealth RAF technique.

To think I've just volunteered to fly RAF TriStars on my days off - for the fun of it - I hope Sqn Ldr Blimp is miles away from 216 sqn when I fly!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Quite frightening how the majority of reacted to our Sqn Ldr's thoughts on the subject. I do sincerely hope they all ain't like this. PLONKER.

Jim

Like your essay D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Me sir, no I won't BREAK the "Queens" finest.

Keith is the phrase no Fault Found - NFF still used in the RAF? This is used in the Technical Log (service book) by engineers when they report on the fault that the "Jockeys" report!

Just give us the tools. :D

Seriously - today there is an article in the "Times" discussing the underspend on the "Armed Forces," nice having shiny schools (but we don't even have those, I hear you say), if you can't defend them from Third World Countries. :D Plus, all those extra military commitments the politicians are getting us into! :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
NFF

NFF is still lurking about but hardly ever used now we just change parts for the sake of not saying NFF

nice shiny tools :confused:

was this you

aircrew: IFF fails to operate in OFF mode

ground crew : IFF never works in OFF try ON mode

:D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the volunteer pilots don't "brake" the aircraft you really will be busy:eek: It's hard to write NFF when she's stuck in the mud at the end of the runway:confused:

The use of "NFF" is frowned upon by the CAA, however "could not reproduce on ground, please report further next sector" is OK;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts