MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my battery has died on me now, this morning is the second time its failed to start during the recent cold weather (weve had -10 up here in hull)the first time i managed to jump it off with a work mates car but today it wouldnt jump off with the neighbours car, i know its the battery because i put my neighbours mondeo battery on mine and it started straight away.

So wheres the best place to get a new one, ive looked on the halfords site but they seem quite expensive so does anyone know of any online alternatives.

Also quick question because i dont know much about batteries and electronics, why does a battery struggle to start a car in winter more then any other time of the year does the cold effect the charge it holds.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Yes, the cold affects the batteries effectivness, the engine is also harder to turn over when cold due to the oil being a bit thicker.

To ease the load on the battery I depress the clutch when starting, less mechanical bits to turn then.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Also quick question because i dont know much about batteries and electronics, why does a battery struggle to start a car in winter more then any other time of the year does the cold effect the charge it holds.
A battery is a chemical device, most chemicals work poorly in the cold - try washing your hands/dishes/clothes in cold water!

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
I'd try a couple of local motor factors

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I bought one earlier this year but have still to fit it. The original rover battery is still discharging between 12.5 and 14.5v which i think is good so im not swapping it just yet. Anything over 15v is bad apparently. The eye was green before all this bad weather but checking it the other day it had returned to black [requires service/charge] so i think this winter may be its last. But then the battery is under more strain during the winter and too many short journeys wont put the charge back in it requires.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=53697

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I bought one earlier this year but have still to fit it. The original rover battery is still discharging between 12.5 and 14.5v which i think is good so im not swapping it just yet. Anything over 15v is bad apparently. The eye was green before all this bad weather but checking it the other day it had returned to black [requires service/charge] so i think this winter may be its last. But then the battery is under more strain during the winter and too many short journeys wont put the charge back in it requires.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=53697
13.0 is perfect but 12.5 is fine. 12.0 and it wont work in winter.

Remember to keep your new one topped up - if you leave it unused for a year then it will have discharged and damaged itself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think mine is the origional battery, the indicator was green but is now black i charged the battery last night and it started the car ok today but indicator is still black does this mean its knackerd.

And how do i find out what its discharging at.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I think mine is the origional battery, the indicator was green but is now black i charged the battery last night and it started the car ok today but indicator is still black does this mean its knackerd.

It should go green when it is fully charged but fully charged for an old battery may be a very small charge so the indicator isn't much use really!

The easiest way to tell how well it's working is to listen to it, if it starts the car quickly then it's good, if it struggles then it's bad, if it fails to start then it is probably sufficently discharged that it has suffered permanent damage and will never work well again. Even with a new battery, if you fully discharge it then it will be permanently damaged.

Unless you don't use the car for several weeks at a time there should never be any need to charge the battery, if there is then it's time for a new one, even if the temperature is -20.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think its definetly time for a new one then. Had to charge it twice this year now, had to charge it after i had the radio on for half an hour whilst washing the car in summer

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
you need a voltmeter to test what the battery is discharging, or a scangauge. If the eye is yellow then the battery is fubar, black can be between 25~75% charge. i charged mine for a full day and it remained black but went to green after being back on the car for a few weeks. black again now as said earlier but that don't concern me. I'd just give it a good charge before you invest in a new one. try the tips on here like diping the clutch. how often do you use the car and over what distance?

Remember to keep your new one topped up - if you leave it unused for a year then it will have discharged and damaged itself.
Thanks for the tip mr windy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use my car every day but only short distances, ill see what happens today because i charged the battery on tuesday night then used the car for abit yesterday but havn't been out to the car today yet so if it fails to start today then i think that will be the decider to gat a new one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well just been out to the car and it started first time, but i think i will still get a new battery but ill wait until after christmas.

Ill just have to keep an eye on the tempreture outside and if it looks like its going to drop below 0 i think ill bring the battery in especially on the mornings when im up for work at 5am.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you have a ZS 120 or 180 ?, Ive got a 120 and I purchased a Yuasa Battery Type 063 which actually fits in the tray properly and it come with 4 year warranty and it was only £37 delivered from eBay. I was sceptical at first thinking its going to be crap or struggle in the cold but so far so good, and personally for that price I dont think you can go wrong.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I think there factory is near to me in Tredegar. May have a factory shop me thinks?

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Ive got a 120 and I purchased a Yuasa Battery Type 063 which actually fits in the tray properly and it come with 4 year warranty and it was only £37 delivered from eBay.
Yuasa make good batteries; I think they were OEM suppliers to MGR for certain vehicles.

·
Biomorphic and the sun,perfection
3,290 Posts

A good quality multimeter is a must imo or one of these..........

http://www.scangauge2.co.uk/

·
Registered
510 Posts
Started my ZS180 up for the 1st time this month, started immediately off the key and the battery still had lots of life in it as I hadn't put the alarm on.

·
Stop that! Thats silly.
2,826 Posts
A Voltmeter will only tell you so much, I work daily with lead acid batts and have a battery discharge tester. It is quite common to have a battery sitting at the optimum voltage but when a load is applied to it the current drops to zero. Sealey sell a automotive batt dis tester, these devices will tell you what capacity is in the battery at that moment i.e. a 70Ah batt may actually have 82Ah or an older unit will have less than the stated capacity.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Reminds me. Must go down and start mine up. She's really clean and under covers at the mo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts