What are you doing with yours?

Decorating - NO.
BBQ - Maybe.
Watching England - Sunday. :D
Motor-racing - could be on Monday. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Well, we are doing 150 miles each way up to Yorkshire tomorrow to visit a relative in hospital (hope the roads are quite).

Sunday, may go to Gaydon, while my wife sells the daughters horse.

Monday, staying in - NOT. :D Watching Hughes win a t Silverstone.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Just done Day 1 the Yorkshire trip. I know I'm going to offend the other Trophy Blue ZT owner, but I can't stand Bank Holidays because the mobile chicanes come out. :( You can't see past 'em, the wobble so and look totally unsafe.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Toby,

You won't hear any arguments about caravans from me.. :)

ZT190 (1500Kgs) + & Swift Classic Doublette 4 berth (1200kgs) = 2.7 tonnes, and 0-60 of around 13 seconds. I can out-accelerate most small cars, and could probably beat some on top speed too if it wasn't illegal and dangerous...

Seriously, you do see plenty of people about that overload/dangerously load caravans, and don't regularly service them. They also have caravans that are too heavy for the car pulling them. This leads to accidents, closing motorways etc., which only serves to heighten tensions between those that "do" and those that "don't"...

What does bother me though, is that no-one seems to complain about lorries, which usually go slower than the majority of caravans, and are much heavier, causing more damage to the roads. (and carrying freight that should be on the railways, but that's a different argument.. :D)

Personally, I try to make it a point to never criticise something I don't know much about. If all others were the same, they'd realise what they were missing. That said, if everyone tried caravanning / camping, it'd be harder for us to get spots at nice sites wouldn't it... :D

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
That would certainly be on the limit for towing I would think. The ZR will definately be better for that. (towing limit of 1000kgs). I hope you don't load the 'van too much?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Check your driving license too as new licenses (such as Nick's and mine) say that you cannot tow more than the weight of the car.

For example, even if your car's tow limit is 1100kg, the car may only weigh 1000kg, so you cannot tow more than 1000kg without passing an extra caravan test to extend your license.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Nat,

What Toby said is right.

I don't know about the legal rules and stipulations, but you would have to be mental anyway to try and tow anything near the kerbweight of the car at any decent speed.

85% of the cars weight is the max, having done this with a big heavy car I still think you need to know what you are doing.

The way you load the caravan/trailer makes a lot of difference.

Matt.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Not my cup of tea!

Well,

Have to say I left caravaning behind when I left home, my late Father & Mother used to take us away to those lovely UK seasides. Sprite Muskateers and Ace Globetrotters come to mind!

I have to say I wouldn't subject my family to solitary confinement for 7-10 days in a chicane today. I would rather use hotels or B&B! But that is my view and is not meant to offend, as I know friends who really enjoy taking the "VAN" to Europe and elsewhere!

As for loading - I agree with Matt, we have all followed the cars down on axles because of this. Or those snaking because they haven't fitted the anti - thingmy bobby (is it legal to have these now)?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Ah! The good old Sprite Musketeer! Still not impossible to see one being dragged along today, great durable van's. I do like the look of some of those newer Avondales, though

<<For example, even if your car's tow limit is 1100kg, the car may only weigh 1000kg, so you cannot tow more than 1000kg without passing an extra caravan test to extend your license.>>

Ridiculous, isn't it? Even holding a full CAT1 HGV, that law would even apply to the likes of me. Is this more Brussels nonsense?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You mean a stableiser Jerry? Wouldn't be without one. Helps to keep it steady....

We particularly like caravanning because it's cheaper than B&B and hotels.

When you come back to the 'van, you can cook your lunch/dinner and not have to worry about spending loads on pub meals, which is something you would inevitably do with B&B or hotels, as breakfast is normally the only meal included.

It's also a different type of holiday - you hitch up the van and you can go anywhere you like. You're not tied to one place and you've got a loo, a fridge, a kitchen, a shower, a heater, a telly and a bed. You can park up in a farmer's field, listen to the rain on the roof while drinking a hot cup of chocolate milk and snuggle up in the warm, gazing out the window at the beautiful countryside. My ideal type of holiday....

Matt - yes, I know you shouldn't tow any more than 85% of the car's weight - we're easily fine on those grounds. Just making sure that people who do tow more than that know that it's illegal to tow more than the car's kerbweight on some licenses. IMO I'd never tow more than 85% period for safety reasons.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I'm sorry if i upset anyone here but i can't believe theres a thread about caravans on a hardcore car forum.
Caravaners are up there with atomic kitten on my list of pet hates!
Dont you know how anti- social caravaning is?
Traffic jams caused by driving in the middle lane slowly(during peak periods),roadblocks caused by overturned caravans and hotels put out of business due to your lack of custom!
If i had my way you would all be interned on a island in the outer hebrides untill you saw the error of you ways! ;)

kev

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Kev,

Is that a no to the towbar fitment on the ZS then??:D :D

Nat,

I think that you would struggle to get over the 85% of the ZT if you stuck your house on the back of it! :D :D

Matt.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Caravans

Kev
i agree with you this site should be about MG's, Burning rubber & high octane fun - with the exception of tents at Le Mans! thats the only campsite that should be mentioned.:beerchug

·
Registered
214 Posts
me to, you caravaners are a menace! hows a young boy racer like me supposed to cane my zr120 down some tasty country lanes with a 8ft wide wooden box in the way! ha ha!;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Came home down the M6 - M5 - M42 - M40 towards Oxfordshire yesterday. Apart from virtually continous roadworks on the M6 and stop go driving to contend with. Plus the cassional "vanman - caravan or otherwise" that blocks your progress. What really bugs me is the Grandad in his new Rover or MB in the outside lane doing 70 when I want to rack on! Or the backwards baseball cap brigade in the same lane when the inside is free doing 80 and won't let me by. :hammerhea

Incences me, increase road taxes, bring on the toll roads so I can get home quicker on roads returned to the glory days of the Seventies.

On caravan drivers - road tax should be at least trebbled (like a commercial vehicle)! What of insurance for these chicanes! Seriously, the congestion on todays roads it is getting to the point where needless journeys should be avoided and caravans is included in this description.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts