MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 10/2000 My 2001 MGF the car has done 123,000km.
The engine will not start normally and when I do get it to start by checking the wiring for lose conections etc, the engine has a bad misfire.
A new cam angle sensor and NGK PFR6G-11 spark plugs were fitted at 57,000km and I have just fitted 2 new HT leads, when it is running I can hear a ticking sound from the no 1 coil pack and in the dark I could see a spark arking to earth, so I decide to swop coil packs 1 to 3 and 3 to 1 for something to do, it stopped the arking and misfire but when the engine cools down or the next morning it will not start again, it's a complete mistery to me and I need some expert advise.
Thanks Cartoys

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 10/2000 My 2001 MGF the car has done 123,000km.
The engine will not start normally and when I do get it to start by checking the wiring for lose conections etc, the engine has a bad misfire.
A new cam angle sensor and NGK PFR6G-11 spark plugs were fitted at 57,000km and I have just fitted 2 new HT leads, when it is running I can hear a ticking sound from the no 1 coil pack and in the dark I could see a spark arking to earth, so I decide to swop coil packs 1 to 3 and 3 to 1 for something to do, it stopped the arking and misfire but when the engine cools down or the next morning it will not start again, it's a complete mistery to me and I need some expert advise.
Thanks Cartoys
I have replaced a new coil pack that I thought was arcing and I have fitted another new cam shaft sensor also 2 new HT leads one from no 1 cyl coil to cyl no 4 and one from cyl no 3 coil to cyl no 2 and 4 new NGK PFR6G-11 spark plugs the parts change seam to have improved the misfire but I am still getting bad starting from an engine cooldown or especially from a fresh overnight start.
When I first crank the engine it turns over freely, on the second crank it fires intermitantly, if I keep on cranking it eventually starts, once it has started and settles down and the engine warms up it starts up again every time and runs smoothly without any problems.
I have disconnected many wiring harness plugs and sprayed them with CO contact cleaner including the 2 large plugs on the CPU nothing I seam to do will correct the bad starting problem.
I got a tip to check the inertia fuel cut-off switch, for some reason it needed resetting, when i pressed the rubber top there was a click that indicated it had reset, yet fuel was still being supplied to the engine before the reset, as I drove the car home when I bought it, acording to the workshop manual it is supposed to cut of the fuel supply in the event of a sudden stop or a crash.

Cartoys frustrated!! you would't belive, any of you had this kind of problem?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts