MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Stop that! Thats silly.
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... less and less folks know what a 180 is. Being what it is, this leads to more and more people getting surprised by it. As new cars get heavier and their Hp rises they just manage to keep pace with the previous models in the performance department. And when you really think about it the 180 is a real odd bod, nobody in their right mind would have put a 2.5l V6 into what is effectively a 95 civic, nobody. All the more praise to be given to MGR for having the balls to do it. Lightweight body with large alloy engine. Next time you are in a carpark, returning to your ZS, just look, yours is the car sitting 6 inches + lower than any other saloon/hatch. yours is the one that looks like a greyhound next to a modern elephant saloon.
The ZS is a marvel, I love mine and intend to keep it long into the future.

Reactions: LozMachine

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Well said:yup:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Mine certainly gets looked at. Got to say I struggle to belive they are fast, they handle well but they are not fast. My MR2 is a whole 15 years older and only making 8psi (should be 10) and its a monster compared to the ZS, only 50kg lighter though even with just 2 seats.

·
Out Of Touch
230 Posts
Indeed well said. Im not sure if its just mine though but the paint job seems a bit poor on mine, no matter how much i clean it i never get much of a shine to it.

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
I have to admit, i have had loads of people ask me.

"who makes that bodykit with the vents in it?"

"umm Rover did?"

"ehh?"
:agh:

I agree with the speed thing though, they are not fast, i would describe it as "nippy" nothing more.

They weigh about the same as a classic impreza, a 180bhp impreza feels slow, a 180bhp ZS feels slow.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have to admit, i have had loads of people ask me.

"who makes that bodykit with the vents in it?"

"umm Rover did?"

"ehh?"
:agh:

I agree with the speed thing though, they are not fast, i would describe it as "nippy" nothing more.

They weigh about the same as a classic impreza, a 180bhp impreza feels slow, a 180bhp ZS feels slow.

fast depends on what your used to, my lotus didn't feel fast until I had to brake for a hairpin and realised I wasn't going to slow down in time ;)

People here mistake the zs for a bmw

·
Stop that! Thats silly.
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
6.2* to 60 is not nippy for a five seat saloon.

*modded but the official 7.2 book speed was taken by most to be slower than production.

IIrc the 180 is quicker than a passat w8 4motion and a skoda vrs octavia, suppose those are just nippy too, or are your comparisons of a different class of car?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know this is off topic but agree the 180 is not a fast car, it should be a fast car but with a lazy v6 it just doesnt cut it (but it does sound very sweet and fast). They stuck a V6 in it as it was all they could get there hands on at the time to make people think it was a fast car. I went from a 120 to a 180 back to a 120 because the speed does not match with the high running and insurance costs. I love the car I just wished the 180 was a Turbo 2.5 V6 250bhp like it should be, not some old under powered v6 that will suck you dry :) :getcoat: please no offense meant to anybody, after spending alot of money on one I have the right to my opinion.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Fast enough for me thanks. Tbh it matters not what you get to drive, once you get used to it it is never fast enough and you will always want more.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
It isn't that fast off the line but if you floor it when you are up above 3K then it flies, 3 years later and I still love it (and I spent 3 years as a driver at the local VW/Audi dealer!)

·
Stop that! Thats silly.
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know this is off topic but agree the 180 is not a fast car, it should be a fast car but with a lazy v6 it just doesnt cut it (but it does sound very sweet and fast). They stuck a V6 in it as it was all they could get there hands on at the time to make people think it was a fast car. I went from a 120 to a 180 back to a 120 because the speed does not match with the high running and insurance costs. I love the car I just wished the 180 was a Turbo 2.5 V6 250bhp like it should be, not some old under powered v6 that will suck you dry :) :getcoat: please no offense meant to anybody, after spending alot of money on one I have the right to my opinion.
Are you sure it wasn't too quick and you felt safer in the 120?

·
Stop that! Thats silly.
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just going by its stock figures puts it in the top 10% of saloons, the modded ones are quicker. Now if you are comparing to modded scoobs and 2 seaters then you are comparing apples and pears.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Just going by its stock figures puts it in the top 10% of saloons, the modded ones are quicker. Now if you are comparing to modded scoobs and 2 seaters then you are comparing apples and pears.
Considering 99% of asloons are sold as family cars thats no accolade. I always wanted a Mk2 ZS, the father in law had a mk1 and I never thought it was fast but I thought that was the way he drove it. I bought m ZS while I had an Astra VXR and the ZS has felt from day 1 like a lazy saloon car. Everyone thinks they can do the 0-60 quicker than the book figure so its true for all cars.

That said it did **** all over my mates Y reg 180 bhp Civic same body shell similar power and I pulled more than a car length on him before we got to 60 but we were both 4 up (he only had 3 but all the tents).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't too quick and you felt safer in the 120?
Nah not me love fast cars and dont get me wrong I loved the 180 but I love the ZS more in any form., just the way it drives and they are both fun in different ways.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts