MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Ahhh. It's good to be back.....
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to see three MG's recently, travelling all over the country and asking for lifts from mates to do so.

All of them are complete duffers. The people/ pictures always promise that the cars are ok but when I get there they are ****! I've just come back from Coventry. I was looking at a MK2 ZS 05 1.8 with 180 bodykit on it. It was banged and resprayed to hell. Over the phone they just told me there was a bump in the bonnet that would be a £60 dentmaster job. "otherwise mate its perfect".

The guy got funny when I started pointing out all of the marks dents and says "well its a five year old Rover, what do you expect!!"

I've never found it so hard to find a good car. I'm not expecting showroom condition but these cars have been awful........

I so regret ever selling my ZS now. I am utterly fedup......

·
Registered
259 Posts
contemplated selling my guesty but changed my mind, nowt wrong wi it and i love driving it, good luck pal, keep my eyes open for ya

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Paul. I am after the 1.8 with the kit on if possible (a long shot). That one looks like a R45

I sold the V6 so I could afford a cheap everydayer and a trackday toy alongside.

Thats a nice car but it looks like Dave MGT got a bargain with mine as I sold it for £3300 with 37,000 on the clock

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I'm too picky with cars because I try and look for people who have looked after cars the same way that I have. I might just hang on until someone on here has something good to sell. Forum members usually by their very nature tend to look after cars better than most.

·
POL Group/MG ZR Owners/MG ZS Owners Club
1,278 Posts

Attachments

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
try here on pistonheads.com http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/li...ze=100&xsl=gallery&y1=&y2=&d=0&dist=&nodays=0
, i know your after a 1.8 but there is a stunning looking facelift celestial blue MKII ZS180 on there for £5500.00
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2062848.htm
Oh man check that out!!! Awesome looking ZS.

Guesty, I know what you mean, quite a few MG's seem to be getting into the hands of people who don't look after them.

I keep thinking of getting another ZR160 and modding it, can't at the moment due to circumstances, but I reckon if I was in a position to buy, I would have a right struggle finding a good one.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I . . . . . "otherwise mate its perfect".
Bloody annoying how anyone can describe something as 'mint' or 'spotless' or 'perfect' when it has any damage at all - regardless of age - 'perfect' is 'perfect' - no dents, scratches, ***-burns.

I've recently spent the huge sum of £840 on a 12 year old, 72k mile Rover coupe which was some 4 hours drive away. I agreed to buy it on the premise that it actually was as the seller described.

The guy never claimed it was perfect and sent numerous photographs detailing areas of imperfection or damage. Because of his eagerness to give a full and accurate description, the four hour journey didn't end in disappointment.

I was quite fortunate as I didn't have the budget to go looking for a 'mint' example anyway, but a few hundred quid and many hours of elbow grease will get it somewhere near "very good".

I don't envy your task, but I'm sure you'll find what you're after eventually.

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh man check that out!!! Awesome looking ZS.

Guesty, I know what you mean, quite a few MG's seem to be getting into the hands of people who don't look after them.

I keep thinking of getting another ZR160 and modding it, can't at the moment due to circumstances, but I reckon if I was in a position to buy, I would have a right struggle finding a good one.

How is the 160 to drive compared to the 180? I've got a 105 ZR at the mo with crap brakes. I've had 200 bubbles and 25's before so I know they can handle ok. I just wondered whether the 160 would make a good car for the track day toy?

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
How is the 160 to drive compared to the 180? I've got a 105 ZR at the mo with crap brakes. I've had 200 bubbles and 25's before so I know they can handle ok. I just wondered whether the 160 would make a good car for the track day toy?
well mate the 160 brakes are the same as the zs180 so good. The suspension is not as good as the zs for the road, should be fine for the track though :)

the vvc engine is a peach in my opinion, revs really well, sounds great and nice smooth power curve.

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info Parsec

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
You know who can sort you out with a decent 160 Paul :yup:

Got to admit it is the better choise for everyday and trackday car over the 180. I have been visiting the Petrol station a hell of a lot more recently :( and putting a extra £10 in everytime...lol

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PM me your reg so I can do an insurance check. My only concern is the Cat D situation. Not done it before.

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And my big dilemma is I can get an F Trophy for just a little bit more. Honestly don't know which to choose for the track. Any ideas which would be best for the track?

They are both about the same weight. The Trophy has the advantage(s) of rear wheel drive and mid engine.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
F's are cheap as chips at the moment due to the summer being over. I have bought 2 now in 2 months, one for the wife to use as a daily for £800 and another for £500 for spares (better interior and I fancy a VVC Metro again). The trophy really isnt that special but even they can be had for a grand.

A TF 160 is a different car all together but there have still been some good TF's go cheap, a 135 went for £2200 the other day and they are pretty good with the 16 inch wheels and 4 pot brakes.

I'd love to sell the ZS and buy a Mitsubishi Delica ready for the winter but the wife says she does not want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
And my big dilemma is I can get an F Trophy for just a little bit more. Honestly don't know which to choose for the track. Any ideas which would be best for the track?

They are both about the same weight. The Trophy has the advantage(s) of rear wheel drive and mid engine.
Will pm you now. Should have any issues with insurance though.

I have had both ZR160s and a trophy160. Really depends what you would rather have. there both great fun. The ZR has 5 seats and is more chuckable and I think more fun round the track in std form. The MGF does have rear wheel drive but could do with more power to have some real sideways fun, only 2 seat and doesnt turn in as well as the ZR because theres little weight up front....but is good in the summer :)
The MGF isnt as reliable as the ZR, seem to drop the h/g sooner and do suffer with balljoints and trackrod ends more so.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts