MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to repair my vis valves and have read the how to, trouble is i dont have a soldering tool, the zs feels low on power (sometimes) and i really do think its the vis motors working when they want to, and was wondering if anyone in the southwest england would be willing to help :)

p.s, i have no rattles coming from the engine bay at all

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'm probably too far away, but could meet you in Devizes. Cheaper in petrol than a new set of motors though.
I take it posting them to anyone is not an option?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm probably too far away, but could meet you in Devizes. Cheaper in petrol than a new set of motors though.
I take it posting them to anyone is not an option?
Unfortunatly i need the car for everyday usage, especially with the missis ill and doctors all the time :( i would meet you but i may try myself to do it, i will just buy a soldering gun as i havnt one anyway, but many thanks for your help much appreciated :)

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
I've never actually repaired a set of VIS motors!

·
Registered
608 Posts
You could just spend a few quid and buy a cheap soldering iron from ebay, then do it yourself? It really is quite easy to do
eBay clicky

If it does break again, then just reflow the solder again. The guide to fixing the VIS motors suggests screwing them down, though? Ive contemplated dumping a lot of hot glue around the area, too.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I use:
Draper gas soldering iron approx £15
assorted sized screwdrivers
plastizap modeling glue (very strong stuff)
blue hylomer per sheddist guide.

...if that is any interest to you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i have heard that this isnt a permanent fix and the flux will break again...eventually.
Theres no reason why it would not be a permenent repair. Flux is just a component of solder thaqt helps it flow when liquid, it burns off when you use the solder so it has no effect on the solder once its repaired, if the motors are glued or screwed down then it wont break again. Remember to clean out the motors and check they work with a 9 volt battery, also check the relays click over (they can be hear if you energise the coil but I tested the outputs aswell) and repair any burned out tracks. When the motors fill with oil they draw more current which can burn out the PCB and weld up the relays.

Did mine 18 months ago along with removing the manifold breathers and I still get both kicks every time.

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
I did mine, it has lasted over a year so far......

One thing i did do though, is remove the balance valve and make sure it could actually open and close properly, mine was pretty stiff at one point, which would no doubt cause to much load on the motor, burning the track out.

Mine actually seams to have a really solid "kick" now, it feels almost like a little missfire before it surges, in fact my mate thought it needed a new set of spark plugs

"its got this missfire stutter thing"
"that is it changing from 2 poxy 3 cylinder engines into a V6"
"really? that's awesome"

Pointless fixing the VIS valves if the inlet is just going to burn them out again, and the balance valve is an easy fix!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts