MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and find it to be crap?

Had ours a couple of years and it had to be reset to factory settings 3 times now - each time you lose everything that was on it. This time lost a load of pics and videos, swear if it does it again I'm going to drive the Zed over it :irked:

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
and find it to be crap?

Had ours a couple of years and it had to be reset to factory settings 3 times now - each time you lose everything that was on it. This time lost a load of pics and videos, swear if it does it again I'm going to drive the Zed over it :irked:
Nope, had my Ferrari for over 3 years, only issue I have with it is that occasionally after the screen saver has kicked in the screen refresh rate has done wrong and I have double vision, easy fix is to set the colour depth to 16 bit and then back to 32 bit.

If it's a OS or software issue then that isn't necessarily particular to Acer. I installed XP Pro on my Ferrari as soon as I got it rather than using the factory installed XP Home.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where you have the Ferrari I think I have the 70s Lada version. :slap:

The scroll bit of the touchpad makes its own mind up whether it wants to work or not, occasionally the keyboard doesn't work right - misses out letters (ok, sometimes it could be the user but sometimes when you read back what you've typed 40% of the letters are missing), then we've had this booting problem, each time it does it you have to then re-enter all your favourites - along with the joy of trying to remember all your usernames and passwords.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes and it is crap.

Had a replacement motherboard and it's still faulty.

Good job I got a Sony vaio too because that is so much better.

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
I have a acer and have had no problems with it (Touch Wood):)

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Where you have the Ferrari I think I have the 70s Lada version. :slap:

The scroll bit of the touchpad makes its own mind up whether it wants to work or not, occasionally the keyboard doesn't work right - misses out letters (ok, sometimes it could be the user but sometimes when you read back what you've typed 40% of the letters are missing), then we've had this booting problem, each time it does it you have to then re-enter all your favourites - along with the joy of trying to remember all your usernames and passwords.
Sounds like OS issues to me . . . what OS are you using ? Vista ? how much memory ? 1GB ? Do you have a decent Anti Virus package ? do you run it regularly and do a full check ? is it updated daily ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wife has a Acer Aspire (5536) i think and she not had any issues at all with it even though it's running on Vista which is poo, i have a lower spec Asus X5DC which is running on Windows 7 and is very good as long as i don't want to run games or stream movies or run large movie files from the hard drive...not a big issue really as any programs i want to stream from the desktop i just stream to the PS3.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like OS issues to me . . . what OS are you using ? Vista ? how much memory ? 1GB ? Do you have a decent Anti Virus package ? do you run it regularly and do a full check ? is it updated daily ?
Vista home basic
McAfee
Memory 3GB RAM

·
Now in a 3
4,092 Posts
yes, and no problems whatsoever.

Acer aspire: 2 gig ram; intel T4300 2.1ghz, 800mhz FSB processor.
Running windows 7 & Norton 360.

Far better laptop than the sony I had last, running vista.

My opinion is that it's software related. I had no end of problems with vista. Touchwood, Windows 7 seems far more stable and quicker.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Vista home basic
McAfee
Memory 3GB RAM
Vista Home should be fine if you have 3GB RAM, make sure you have the latest Service Pack though, should be SP 2, if you run the command winver it will tell you what Service Pack you have.

I dislike McAfee with a passion . . . do you run it at least weekly doing a full scan ? is it updated daily ?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I bought an e-machine laptop a year ago, it's been fine. E-machines laptops are made by acer but with less of the bells and whistles.

You maybe able to recover your photos etc by using the search, it has worked 3 times after reboots on our HP desk top, the only bits I can't find are IE favorites and emails.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought an e-machine laptop a year ago, it's been fine. E-machines laptops are made by acer but with less of the bells and whistles.

You maybe able to recover your photos etc by using the search, it has worked 3 times after reboots on our HP desk top, the only bits I can't find are IE favorites and emails.
Be great if I could do that, hate to sound like a muppet but how do I do that?
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
They're cheaper for a reason. Seem to remember they scored pretty low in reliability in Which? survey report. That's why I ordered a Dell. Had to wait for 4 weeks for them to build my spec but it was worth it.

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
I am on the side of them being crap. Got a ferrari but the small one with 12" screen

came with xp sp2 which is out of date so I installed sp3. That broke the wifi drivers. So I installed ubuntu 9 but had lots of power management probs and wifi failed completely. Installed ubuntu 10 and things better but still had to reset bios to get wifi back the other day

Then the screen got a load of dead pixels across it and I've had to buy a replacement which arrived today. Screwdrivers out!

Got a Sony viao as well, budget £400 model and it's been great, no probs with vista once I took the crapware off it. Now running windows 7 and it's even better

my advice : don't buy acer. At work recently I heard a loud bang and turned around and this guys acer LCD monitor had exploded. Puff of smoke above it and nasty smell!!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Be great if I could do that, hate to sound like a muppet but how do I do that?
Cheers.
IIRC you do a search on all files setting the dates between when you got the computer and the date of the reboot.

I then put links on the desktop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts