MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Have had a couple of Honda's - VFR/Firestorm and the nice weather makes you think what you are missing! But............................

Anyway, just wondered if anyone has been or IS into "Big Bikes?"

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have owned and given the following a jolly good handful.....

1976 Suzuki GT 250
1972 Suzuki 250 Hustler
1977 Kwacker KH250
1977 Kwacker KH500 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
1979 Kwacker Z1-R
1980 Honda CB 900F
1985 Kwacker GPz 550

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Had a few bikes in my yoof, nothing exotic though!
1977 Yam xs250, 1980 xs250, 1982 Yam xj550, 1979 xs750.
The last bike i owned was 15 years ago but i still ride when i can borrow my dad's xj900 divvy (he's 62 and still caning it!).
Will probably buy another bike when i hit 40 as so many do!!
Love watching WSB, the best racing on telly!!:D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Above 40!

Clive

That's it then - above 40 and NEED speed at all costs. Small plates - cameras - we win!

Can't really justify another bike though - if I could - my choices would be:

R1 - highsider.
VFR800 - ideal
Speed Triple - too expensive
Duc 998 - dare not ride

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
I,ve had a small selection of bikes, or is that a selection of small bikes!

Raleigh Runabout
NSU Quickly
BSA Bantam D14/4
Kawasaki KH 125
Yamaha YDS7 350cc
Kawasaki Z250 (two of those)

Big bikes are out for me cos I'm a short arse!! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's my little beauty, a Kawasaki ZX6-R 'Ninja'

Now the user name makes sense to all you non-bikers out there :D :D Roll on the summer :D

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Borrowed my mates 900 Ninja a few times in the 80's, the original!!
If i had the money it would have to be a 996 or R1, though i'll probably have to settle for a 600 of some sort.
Never had a bike without a small no. plate (they just look better) although the plod took a dim view even then. Lots of times i got pulled & told to replace it with a legal one!
So what are everyone's favourite biking memories?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Bike memories??
Well, there was the time I opened up a Kawa Z1300 and nearly had me arms wrenched from their sockets!
But the old KH500 2 stroke triple was the most perverse thing I ever owned..it needed new points (three sets) every few thou to keep on song, and they were a swine to time up after. It really was a case of such incredible 2 stroke urge (which should have been on the NHS as a cure for depression) married to a chassis of such overwhelming ineptitude, unless you had just got off a Super Dream. It so easily gave Z1's a run for their money, and one of my party tricks circa 1981 was to race HST's on the long straight A4130 next to the railway nr Didcot, and see the drivers face as we pulled away from them!! Great for the occasional crazed outing, but hopeless for everyday use. There was even a 750 which took things to ludicrous extermes, only countenanced by self-mutilators and the criminally insane:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Remarkable how we survived the ill-handling bikes of those days!!
A mate of mine had a KH250, loved it so much he bought a 500 as well. We all thought he was certifiable when he told us as we'd had many a hilarious ride out watching him thrash off into the distance on the 250 & wobble precariously around the twisties. One of my fondest memories of those days was about 15 or 20 of us going up to Snowdonia & haring around those brilliant roads for a week, Bliss!:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
How did we all survive those days, eh Clive!
Interesting as you are from Eastleigh as one of our friday night blats was down to the old ice rink in Southampton (is it still there)
Used to pop the front end of the KH up when we pulled away from the Basset Rd roundabout. Cock a doodle-doo!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
'Fraid it's gone, all housing now along with the Top Rank nightclub which was the best (and only!) venue in town in those days.
Don't suppose you ever went to the White Swan pub in Mansbridge (near the F*rd plant)?It was a brilliant bikers pub, over 200 bikes there on a Friday night, lots of burnouts, doughnuts etc!! :D :D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
So THAT was what it was called! Spent 20 years trying to remember that pub, called there one night by accident, showed a few CB750's who was boss then! Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Hard to forget for me!! CB750's were SLOW! Mate had one & we used to ride rings around it !! GSX750 much better, I wanted one of those badly, but when i could eventually afford it, missus got preggers & that was it!!This was 1985!!

·
Which one shall I drive today?
6,507 Posts
I have a Honda Blackbird. Its my first choice when its warm and dry and I don't have to take the kids.

Nothing, not even an Evo, can match a big bike for accelleration and manuverability in traffic (overtaking). Sometimes have to watch out through mid speed corners if I'm being chased by someone a bit handy with the right car though.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Tony

Great bike and I agree on ordinary roads, cars are often too wide to overtake.

Last year, Jim accompanied me to Kemble on a "Nick Oak" trackday. I was driving an EVO VI, there were two bikes present - R1 and a VFR800. They were extremely fast and good riders, knees down technique, sparks flying on all corners! :D

But overall the VI was faster around the circuit, under braking and cornering they didn't have a chance. But then most wouldn't against an EVO VI.

If JIM, sees the post he will concure, he was totally gobsmacked at the way the VI went. It had a few mods and developed 340bhp, another VI was there and the thing was faster. Often wonder why I sold it. :(

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Its that time of year again, and the M6 is thick with bikes from all over Europe heading north to the ferries and across to the Island for the TT. The M62 over the Pennines will be just as busy from the East Coast ports (How on earth do they cope at Heysham-do they have extra boats?) Went for a walk with my daughter tonight and stood on an overbridge between jct 15 and 16 and in the space of 20 mins, counted 22 bikes!! Some very sexy machinery as well. But sad to hear one has been killed already, and six died in 2000 (cancelled last year-F&M) That "Mad Sunday" almost bends sanity thru 180 degrees.

Have fun...but take it easy, everyone.

·
Which one shall I drive today?
6,507 Posts
That "Mad Sunday" almost bends sanity thru 180 degrees.

And makes it sane again?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts