1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice on my windscreen please.

Its picked up a nasty stone chip, which has started to crack :err:

Would this fail an MoT ??

Apologies for the poor photos, but its dark outside!

*Edit* - Its passenger side, and is not in the swept area.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i did have a look at that.

My concern is that the chip has started to crack, and that they would want to fit a new windscreen.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
That's not a fail

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Thanks, i did have a look at that.

My concern is that the chip has started to crack, and that they would want to fit a new windscreen.
I think that is going to require a new windscreen anyway within a year if it is not fixed, although if someone does try to fix it then they are quite likely to make things worse so maybe you should just start saving for the inevitable!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Pop in to mot station they wont charge you to say yes or no. As long as you have it properly repaired it will be fine. Mine was done about four years ago and no probs whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I had a chip similar to that and when the windscreen guy (National windscreens, I think) visited he said they couldn't repair it and I needed a new windscreen. I knew he was talking B*****s but accepted anyway because there was also wiper damager to the glass so I just paid the 70 quid insurance excess and had a new screen fitted.

I'm no expert, but from past experience I would wager that your chip is as an MOT failure.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
thats not a fail, as long as it isnt in "ZONE A" which is basically the swept area

http://www.autoactivewindscreens.co.uk/services/
Aha! Interesting. Even though it could spread quite dramatically if not seen to.

Unrelated, but something interesting I found out about MOT testing. It is perfectly legal for a qualified MOT tester to test and pass his own car! I guess conflict of interest doesn't apply here.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Perk of the job. When I was a tester I just used to get the boss or his son to write out and sign the new ticket. They knew my car was always kept in excellent fettle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pop in to mot station they wont charge you to say yes or no. As long as you have it properly repaired it will be fine. Mine was done about four years ago and no probs whatsoever.
Drove past a Hi-Q garage this morning and stopped off to ask their MoT tester.

He said he would pass it because its not in the swept area of the windscreen.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Just a note. Even if it's in the swept area it still doesn't automatically mean it will fail. It is then up to the tester to sit in the car and decide of the damage obscures the drivers view of the road

1 - 13 of 13 Posts