MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had MGBs on and off for the past 35 years, now I've got a Rubber bumper roadster. I'm about to fit parabolic springs and lower it, should I remove the rear Anti roll bar, I will fit Spax adjustables. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The rear ARB was fitted becuase of the increase in ride height and softer suspension of the RB cars. If you are getting the ride height and springs back to CB then I'd suggest you remove it. Spax's get poor reports - you may want to buy the same fitting kit but with Gaz. I run Gaz's on my race car and they have more adjustment, have a broader working range (spax's are usually to hard even on their softest setting) - and gaz can rebuild the dampers when needed rather than having to checuk them and buy new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, the ride was like a farm cart at the back now I know why, that's why I was fitting parabolics, unfortunately I bought a new set of Spax in February.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Doh, although not too bad as you can buy dampers on their own - so if you get fed up of an aching back in a year you can swap the dampers withouth needing new brackets, etc.
The parabolics should help - one issue with the telescopic dampers is they are trying to control all the spring mass as well as the car. I have funky 'single leaf' leaf springs on my MGB racer and the difference in control due to the light weight is great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Anti roll bar (Front)

As this subject has been raised, I have a question if I may scew the thread somewhat. Would fitting a 7/8" front anti-roll bar to my otherwise standard 72 B Roadster have any negative effect to the handling for road use? I want to gradually start modifying the car and this seemed a reasonably cost effective way to start. Anyone disagree? :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
7/8 is pretty stiff. Normally for road use a 3/4 or similar is better. One so stiff may generate more understeer. Although I moved to a 1" bar on my race car and it finaly cured understeer problems! Rest of my car is pretty modified as well.

Good mods for the B are decent suspension bushes (I'd go for the polyurethane), negative camber wishbones, a 3/4 bar, lower and stiffer front springs and to lower (but not stiffen the rear).

or even better, buy my race car :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Competitive-M...ryZ29757QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts