MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
F1 Champions :~

I have a hunch, only a small one though ... :)... the old geezer on the extreme left will show much better this season.

My main money's still on the Button though ... ;)

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Victorious Vettle, I'm afraid.

All down to who can find the best way to bend the rules and gain the advantage, till the others catch up.

We have Sky HD, so see if we get their coverage!!!!

Must admit last years racing was more interesting.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Sky F1 is free if you have sky sports 1 and 2 or you have sky HD, we have the latter, I'm looking foward to the new season, not sure what to expect.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel the same way. No way will the over monopolistic Murdoch knowingly get one thin dime of my money. Much as I like F1, I much prefer to go without. He and his Monopoly Media Empire is far too powerful.

So I will miss out on a few races. There's a bonus upside. I will have more Sundays free to attend race meetings and car enthusiasts get togethers.

I felt this way long before the recent unpleasantness. As far back as when satellite broadcasting was first proposed and we would have TWO competing for our custom. SKY and British Satellite Broadcasting. BSB... Then, that competition was manipulated to a single SKY .... so much for choice and competition.

If he gets his way, one day, all sport will be pay to view. Include me out.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Same here i love f1 and never missed a race but i,m not paying sky to watch it . wont be long before it becomes a separate pay channel from sky sports . Murdoch is one robbing git and things will only get worse when sky have all the sport coz thats the way its gona end up

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I have HD because it was the same price as sky+ when we upgraded from standard sky, I haven't and wouldn't pay for sport on Sky, not sure what is in it for them to included it with HD but that's my gain.

We wanted sky+ as there are a lot of programes that we like to watch but they are normally on too late to make veiwing live a sensible action.

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Same here - there's no way Murdoch will get any of my cash.

Years ago my dad got my grandad a sky dish so he would watch the rugby league, first off it was free, then it was 5.99 a month, then it was 11.99, then suddenly he's paying 20 odd quid a month.

And as we now know, the news papers are above the law.

What do you all think of Bernie Ecclestone's negative comments about Lewis Hamilton?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What do you all think of Bernie Ecclestone's negative comments about Lewis Hamilton?
I do not know what he said but Lewis Hamilton has under achieved considering the the team back up he's always had and top class kit made available to him since day one of his F1 career. Top Kit and Top team back up team support few others have ever had.

If Lewis Hamilton learns or ever realises there's more to this F1 mullarkey than simply wearing a Yellow Helmet and flooring it, he will become a much more successful F1 driver. Maybe it was Button's influence but, there were positive signs of that a few times these past two seasons but, for whatever reason, he dropped the ball and lapsed into his old ways which were costly for him, and much more importantly, his team.

I shall watch how he handles the first few races closely because I like to see British success.

This image I pinched from another site sums it up rather nicely for me :~

... and he really must stop all those on track meetings with P. Massa ... people will talk ... :lol:

Day 3 of testing :~

Today's Final Times

Pos Driver Team Time Laps

1. Perez Sauber 1m22.094s 114

2. Button McLaren 1m22.103s +0.009 44

3. Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m22.155s +0.061 131

4. Massa Ferrari 1m22.413s +0.319 122

5. Di Resta Force India 1m22.446s +0.352 108

6. Senna Williams 1m22.480s +0.386 111

7. Kovalainen Caterham 1m22.630s +0.536 64

8. Webber Red Bull 1m22.662s +0.568 70

9. Rosberg Mercedes 1m22.932s +0.838 129

10. Raikkonen Lotus 1m25.379s +3.285 43

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Look at that, Heikki up there in the 22's with the rest of them, come on Caterham F1
But will be a good 2 seconds behind the top four teams when the real stuff begins in a few weeks . Id like to see caterham do well but i,m afraid that wont happen the best they can aim for is being in the midfield and even thats a big ask of them

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Almost getting to be a two tier Formula, the top 4 or 5 and the others. Maybe they could split it, give the smaller teams some help in getting into the points

Dependant on the amount of money they spend on development etc.

I thought they were making it a more level playing field, number of engines they can use, but always going to be the big boys and the others bringing up the rear.

Dont know what the actual figures are, but the points are worth a considerable amount and help with the travel costs, tyres etc. So the best teams end up with more help and cash to develop the cars more, so they get more points......................

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTCC:

With the appearance of the MG6s in this coming season's BTCC, I shall watch with added interest particularly with Plato twiddling the steering wheel and pushing the pedals ... :)...

I do not like to see the excessive use of nudging the rear corner of the car in front so that it careers of the track. Most drivers do that and the same old same old use it as a way of getting past a better car/driver combination. Worse still, the stewards all too often turn a blind eye to these "PIT" ## moves by certain drivers which is both unfair and so we are denied a genuine result all too often. They are not 'racing incidents' .. far from it.

## PIT = Precision Intercept Technique. Often deployed by USA Police Officers when chasing miscreants. Very effective to see as anyone watching those various Police car chase footage TV programmes will have seen. Very effective in taking out miscreants. Never seen it used by UK Police when chasing criminals. More's the pity as all too frequently they crash the car and leg it anyway.

Back on track :~

This morning's test times :~

Pos Driver Team Time Laps

1. Raikkonen Lotus 1m22.030s 41

2. Alonso Ferrari 1m22.250s +0.220 63

3. Senna Williams 1m22.296s +0.266 53

4. Hulkenberg Force India 1m22.312s +0.282 45

5. Kobayashi Sauber 1m22.386s +0.356 56

6. Hamilton McLaren 1m22.430s +0.400 60

7. Petrov Caterham 1m22.795s +0.765 43

8. Schumacher Mercedes 1m22.939s +0.909 57

9. Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m23.393s +1.363 53

10. Vettel Red Bull 1m23.608s +1.578 15

Been watching those testing times with interest. The bare data show very little differences across most cars and drivers. If this data can be relied on, the 2012 F1 season is going to have closer racing which must be good for all us watchers.

There again, come the first couple of race results it could be all change up front ... Good :thumbup: or, as you were .. not so good ... :(

Two whole weeks to wait for the off. I'm usually very patient but

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Latest :~

autosport said:
Kimi raikkonen ensured that lotus finished pre-season formula 1 testing on top as nobody was able to beat his morning time on the final afternoon at barcelona.

Most of the field spent the afternoon focusing on race simulations, meaning that raikkonen's 1m22.030s lap, set inside the final 20 minutes of the morning, was unlikely to come under fire.

The lotus driver's race simulation was among the most impressive of the day as he completed a 65-lap run on four sets of pirelli tyres; three soft, one hard. During these stints he suffered performance drop-off of no more than 1.8s on any given set of tyres.

While his drop-off figures were the best of the race simulations, his overall pace was still shy of lewis hamilton's mclaren, which seemed to have a 0.2s advantage on any given lap of a stint.

With nobody improving, fernando alonso retained second spot in the times - 0.220s down on raikkonen.

The ferrari driver's race run was affected by a couple of red flags caused by kamui kobayashi's sauber - which suffered an engine problem and stopped between turns 4 and 5 – and vitaly petrov's caterham, which took a trip through the gravel at turn 4 with half an hour to go.

Bruno senna remained third overall, despite the brazilian being replaced by his team-mate pastor maldonado for the afternoon. Maldonado completed 48 laps – which included two stints on supersofts – putting him ninth.

Nico hulkenberg's force india and kobayashi were next up, ahead of hamilton, petrov and michael schumacher's mercedes, which focused on a succession of 10-lap runs on soft tyres.

Daniel ricciardo's toro rosso and the red bull of sebastian vettel brought up the tail of the field. Vettel completed just six laps right at the end of the day; his rb8 having to be cured of gearbox problems that had also restricted his morning running.

Today's times:

Pos driver team time laps
1. Raikkonen lotus 1m22.030s 121
2. Alonso ferrari 1m22.250s +0.220 115
3. Senna williams 1m22.296s +0.266 53
4. Hulkenberg force india 1m22.312s +0.282 101
5. Kobayashi sauber 1m22.386s +0.356 72
6. Hamilton mclaren 1m22.430s +0.400 115
7. Petrov caterham 1m22.795s +0.765 101
8. Schumacher mercedes 1m22.939s +0.909 100
9. Maldonado williams 1m23.347s +1.317 48
10. Ricciardo toro rosso 1m23.393s +1.363 100
11. Vettel red bull 1m23.608s +1.578 23

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
But will be a good 2 seconds behind the top four teams when the real stuff begins in a few weeks . Id like to see caterham do well but i,m afraid that wont happen the best they can aim for is being in the midfield and even thats a big ask of them
I've supported this team for a a couple of seasons now, and maybe they will slip down the order, but that's not a reason not to support them. They are a great team to follow, especially online, they are very well connected with their fanbase.

I of course follow the BTCC, and maybe moreso than some people may think. Many people lost interest in the BTCC when the MGs faded away from the series, I've maintained my interest throughout.

I will be rooting for MG and Jason Plato in the coming season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts