MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, its been a whole 2 weeks now since any one else has posted a thread in the I.C.E. forum.

Whats going on out there guys????? Is anyone modifying I.C.E.???

You may remember that i had just fitted a T.V. head unit when i posted my last thread (07/05/02) and i have been very busy since.

I collected my Stealth sub boxes from Auto Acoustics, they took a while but were custom built for the car, and i can not complain abou the quality. While i was there i collected a large amount of carpet to match the boxes.

If you want a look then visit www.autoacoustics.co.uk and by the way the ZR in the picture is mine :D

Been busy with the MDF too, building the false floors and DVD mounts for the install. Trimming them up in the afore mentioned carpet to match the boxes.

To really set off the intstall i embossed the ZR logo to the carpet in the boot to really catch the eye.

Now all i have to do is change the speakers, buy a couple more amps, complete the wiring..................blah..............blah.............blah..........!!!!

Total bill so far is £2500 and i aint finished it yet, ouch!

G

·
ZS 180 Ice

I have just had the complete speakers uprated.

The front door pockets and speakers have been resculpted and covered with red alcantera to match the Red leather inserts on the seats.

Haven't seen it yet but am told that it looks v. good.

Top pioneer head unit is providing the source with a DAB tuner fitted and a RB 610? auxillary input so that I can use my 15" screen DVD player/laptop PC through the system.

Will let them bed in and then boost the sub-base from the boot.

Pictures will be posted when available.

Cheers,

Mostyn

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well glad to see that someone else is doing thier bit for noise pollution.

But is there really only TWO of us seriously modding I.C.E. ?

There must be more out there working rounf the clock to fit some noisey gear in to thier cars..

C'MON lets hear your ideas, views. GO ON.................... GO ON....................... GO ON. GO ON. GO ON.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Go on you lot!!!!

I'm up for it and have done over a few cars on the "Noise" front.

My 75 is just limited in it's posibilities as it has the TV/Sat Nav and I have no pre outs :mad: Just line level outputs from the Phillips :rolleyes: "amp"

Gonna start a project car methinks in the shape of a very quick and high boosting 800 Vitesse T16 Fanpower mobile :D

Matt.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've yet to find a car who's factory-fit ICE doesn't need tweaking...

And my ZS180 is no different. Unfortunately after splashing out for the car I've not had enough gold to go to town with the ICE and have had to make do with a few minor tweaks.

First week after buying it I had to get a Kenwood 6 CD changer installed as the head-unit's Single CD was gonna cause a traffic accident as I frequently changed discs on the go.

Second week made me realise how much I missed the Bass that my Old Part-Ex 216 Coupe could deliver through the all-round Infinity/Pioneer ICE setup so I got myself a 500watt Kenwood Sub enclosure driven by a 250watt amp and that will do nicely until I crank it above volum 26 on the Kenwood headunit where the factory fit speakers start to show how shoddy they are.

Once I've reduced my Credit Card by another 500 quid next month I think I'll have to *at the least* replace the 2 front door drivers as they are seriously struggling.

Even after all this I'll still miss my Pioneer headunit as the Kenwood is just SO DAMNED FIDDLY!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will be uparading soon, i like the look of the boxes you got mate, how much did they set you back? I had a rather large set back the other day when some 5h1t took a likeing to my head unit :mad: , they will have a suprise next time as i just had sonics added to the alarm:p . One thing i have done is put a MP3 player in, not your normal one..its an mStation, room for 3000 tracks looks a bit like a CD Changer but you would have to find a 200 disc changer to come close to the no of tracks i could have.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I _was_ working on the ICE in my car, unfortunatly someone drove into my car and I am now at the mercy of MGR and CAT logistics and the parts shipping crisis. I have a big pile of ICE reminding me of my predicament every day, but when (seems like if) the car comes back I'll post some details.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
105!!

What make is the head unit/TV.

Is it sat nav too??

Have you gone to town on dynamat??

What security have you gone for or is it reasonably stealth. I would have thought with the TV you will attract all the scum in your area :mad:

Matt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt...

The TV unit is a Pioneer 7000CD. This unit is one of those motorised fold away jobbies. When the ignition is turned off it hides away in to the dash. Just looks like a blanking plate for a non stereo fitted dash.

Dynamat - I covered the floors instead of the boot in this coz its easier to cover a floor than the boots curves! The floors seperate the road noise from the sounds. Saving a bit though for all those rattling panels like the one inside the boot lid.

Security - Well Cat 1 won't be far behind let me tell you!!!

And the floors have been built in a way they won't come out an order that is logical and easy. Basically bolts holding floors in are covered by other components so its not obvious whats holding the ****** in.

No Sat Nav as yet, don't really do enough distance / mystery driving to warrant it though.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Can't afford to upgrade much, but put 5 1/4" Infinity Reference Series in the back, ordered a 6 1/2" Infinity Reference Series Component System for the front with cross-over and seperate tweeters.

Already got the Kenwood single CD head unit and a multi changer.

I could have gone for the Infinity KAPPA series instead but

1) It's more expensive

2) I have experience of the Reference Series already since my brother in law has them in his Scoob and I was well impressed

3) With the amount of road noise you get in a car, a clearer speaker sound won't be noticed much, therefor I thought it was best not to bother spending the extra

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and when i'm not watching movies can b used like this, pretty stealthy huh??

Attachments

G

·
Red hot Ice

My speakers have bedded in nicely now and I have a great 10" Rokford Fosgate sub driven by a small RF amp.

Listening to the new 1Extra DAB station in the car this morning really kicked out some bass.

I will be taking the car to Castle Coombe on thursday. If anyone wants to see/hear it.

The digital camera will be clicking loads so there should be some in car photos to upload when I get back.

Mostyn

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Nice 1 105. I reckon you must have one of 3 or 4 ZR's with TV!!!

Furry-muff about the sat nav. Expensive if you don't need it and would only really be pose value . . . . . . .second thoughts, GET IT :D :D

Looks good. How much difference would you say the Dynamat has made to road noise. Paricularly on a bad surfaced motorway at a "moderate" speed?

Matt.

G

·
very low

I've just replaced my sub, blew my rockford 2212, now replaced it with a rockford 3112 1000 RMS very heavy, finally a sub that can keep up with my amp

running sub in one ohmn ( head light dimmer )

next thing is to replace my MD with MP3 better sound quality:shout:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Re: very low

jfoste32 said:
next thing is to replace my MD with MP3 better sound quality:shout:
I wouldn't bet on that. I've just replaced my MD unit with the equivalent MP3 one. I finished compiling a MP3 CD-R last night, compressing using LAME, with a q of 2 and VBR averaging 128kbps. I've only listened to a couple of tracks but there is a definite 'splashiness' to some of the more complex vocal sections. I've not heard such obvious distortion from MD - even on the few occasions that I have used LP4.

At some point I will try different encoder settings to see if the quality can be improved without increasing the bitrate - some people claim that you can't tell the difference between a well encoded 128kbps VBR MP3 and the original CD on a home hi-fi so I'm hoping to be able to improve on my first efforts.

S.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Matt,

Only used Dyna in the boot on the false floors, so not really an advantage during driving.

What is does do tho is add just a bit of deading to the boot while showing off. Only got a couple of rattles and re-installing system again to sort these out. Oh the fun............

As for SAT NAV, yeah good posing tool. Could you imagine pulling a bird, asking her where she lives and going straight there with out asking her for directions. Spooooooky!!!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Halfords do DYNAMAT in both it's forms. Original and Super (or something like that!!). Be warned tho it's a tad pricey from there.

Lucky for me i have a mate in the audio game so i get it from him cheap:p He just finished doing his Beemer 3 series (entire floor, doors, boot and rear 3/4 panels) and it still cost him £250 :eek:

Look in the back of Max Power/Fast Car/Revs and look at the offers. Usually someone flogging it cheap.

Be warned it can be a pain to install, it's very very sticky and HEAVY for what it looks like.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only had my ZR a few days first think i done when i got it back was put me kenny in (KDC-PSW9521) and me vibe box run off a pioneer amp. I`m now gonna start on upratin the speakers e.t.c e.t.c any advise wouldn`t go a miss on good upgrades for the speakers:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts