MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new 120+ yesterday. No problems with it so far, apart from....
The alarm went off at around 1.30am this morning! No, it hadn't been interfered with, everything was intact. We went down, reset it all...and ten minutes later it did it again! I reset it yet again and hung aroung to see if it was being tampered with. No, it wasn't and yes it did go off again, a further three times, in fact.

I should say BTW. that I keep it outside, round the back of the house on a standing space. Last night was wet and pretty windy. We came to the (fairly odd) conclusion that the wind rocked the car enough to cause an air freshener we'd hung off the mirror to sway, thereby triggering the interior sensors.

Has anybody else had probs with the alarms going off when they shouldn't? And if so, how did you solve it?

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I would think that the wind was indeed to blame. I've set my alarm off when washing the car and using a power washer. The sudden force can rock the car just enough for the alarm to trigger.

G

·
We had a huge gust of wind a few weeks ago that set off the alarm on my 120+ sitting on the drive. No problems before or since.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Phil,

remember you came onto the forum asking about security and you offered to visit me and nick my 180, well guess what I snook over to yours in my MI-2 outfit to test the security on your new toy so I could let you know of any problems. :p
Only problem found was every time I broke wind the thing went off !!! :D

Mike;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not too sure now it is the wind. The alarm went off again this afternoon at 3.30. There was virtually no wind. It had started to rain though. I rang up Autoworld and they told me to use the key (as opposed to using the handset), I said I'd done that and it didn't work, so they gave me an alternative course of action which did seem to work.

So, I'm taking a few hours off work tomorrow and taking it back to Autoworld to let their service dudes have a poke around, see what's what.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mikeh said:
Phil,

remember you came onto the forum asking about security and you offered to visit me and nick my 180, well guess what I snook over to yours in my MI-2 outfit to test the security on your new toy so I could let you know of any problems. :p
Only problem found was every time I broke wind the thing went off !!! :D

Mike;)
Ah, THAT would explain it. Stone me!!, You must live off a diet of cabbage, curry, beans & brussel sprouts if it has that titanic effect...:rolleyes:

Phil:D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We think we may have sussed it (sort of). My wife has just popped out to pick up the kids from the Methodist youth club and she noticed that the "boot open" light was on, even though the boot appeared solidly shut. So, we opened it and slammed it shut again. The light went out .

HAVE we solved it?

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
....and rest! Yep, that appears to have done it. It couldn't have been open more than a couple of mm.

It's comforting to know that the alarm is so effective though. And so LOUD! My daughter was on the phone to her friend when it went off in the afternoon. She was at her Grandma's about a third of a mile away from us and she could hear it there!

iImpressive or what?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts