MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my Z need´s more response and it´s time for air intake upgrade. So I was looking what´s the best choice. I don´t want to spend 300e for KN appolo kit, so I decited to make my own. What´s better silicon hose or aluminium tubes for air flow and temperature protection? what is the best bhp gain configuration? (1.closed filter in the engine bay, 2.open one in inner wing 3. closed one in inner wing?) if I make such a upgrade will I see gain cca 5bhp? My friend has bmw 523i-e39 (125kw) and it was pretty even ( we were 2 in my car so probably i would beat him if I was alone) but It really makes me mad because from 130km/h he was running a bit faster. Thanks for any replyes

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ok so my Z need´s more response and it´s time for air intake upgrade. So I was looking what´s the best choice. I don´t want to spend 300e for KN appolo kit, so I decited to make my own. What´s better silicon hose or aluminium tubes for air flow and temperature protection? what is the best bhp gain configuration? (1.closed filter in the engine bay, 2.open one in inner wing 3. closed one in inner wing?) if I make such a upgrade will I see gain cca 5bhp? My friend has bmw 523i-e39 (125kw) and it was pretty even ( we were 2 in my car so probably i would beat him if I was alone) but It really makes me mad because from 130km/h he was running a bit faster. Thanks for any replyes
If it helps I have run several configurations over the years, however on a rolling road day it was clear that the ITG configuration gave the most gains, and I decided to go with it. Well worth the money, after all they spend thousands on R&D and do make bespoke solution to each car rather than generic ones for all cars.

However on a budget buy a panel filter and cut into the bottom of rover/mg air box and put a direct air feed. Does the job nicely and gives reasonable gains for a £50 filter and £10 of ducting and £5 silicone well worth a morning with a jigsaw.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you need a inclosed kit I have a Viper set up spare from my KV6 install
it is used and has a brakect fitted to mount to battery tray. £150 + postage

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don´t want standart air filter( it weights tons) and without it the air circulation in engine bay would be better I think, for the viper filter for 150+postage ( I ´m from slovakia so postage will be near 50pounds-i think so thanks) - for the pipes is better silicon or aluminium due to air flow in the pipes and temperature ? what´s the best configuration? (1.closed filter in the engine bay, 2.open one in inner wing 3. closed one in inner wing?), aluminium pipes + silicon bends costs me 50e(40pounds) air filter green power flow 80e(65pounds).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts