MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody fitted one, or know of anybody that has?? As i after one for mine!

Any other performance bits for a 105 that people have fitted??

Cheers!:)

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Don't wanna go "off message" but see your local (ish). If you fancy a bit of thrashing round the Dales, Lakes, etc and meeting similarly minded Zed owners, catch a look at www.nmgo.info

Advert over.

I think there's a Pipercross induction kit available for the 105 though not sure. I've fitted one to my 120. Deep growl. Wicked!

F

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
As Elaines ZR 105 is used mainly in town many of the benefits of an induction kit will not be available (standing in traffic will only draw in WARM / HOT air from the engine compartment).

We have, however, replaced the nasty paper panel filter with a K&N one. Engine revs much more freely and picks up better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hiya gang...FFC...u say u got the piper kit...does it make much performance difference,like pick up or is it mostly audible (lol)....seriously though, i am thinkin of gettin one but would rather kepp the money i would spend and add an extra £30 odd quid and get the 52mm throttle body if the filter dont make much diff.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Fitted induction kit to my 105 couple of days ago. Currently working on improving the air flow to it via the original ducting.

Want to have a sheild/heat deflector fitted near or around the cone to help keep as much warm air away as possible.

Any one done this????

By the way it sounds great and i reckon it does give a bit more response, or is it in my head??? Who cares, happy modding!!!

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Without doing a rolling road test I can't be scientifically sure and a session will be arranged but prob late summer.

However, I am convinced it picks up better. Whilst it's no guide, the first 3 times I did a standing start I wheel span. Maybe I was accelerating harder maybe I wasn't! Who knows. Maybe all in the head.

But I reckon the money's worth it for the roar alone! But seriously, I reckon there is a slight performance increase though maybe psychological.

Seems I need to start looking into throttle bodies next then!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Throttle bodies the way forward

Check this :beerchug

QUORN ENGINE DEVELOPMENTS
Rover K Series
The latest engine we have taken an interest in is the Rover K series. Originally developed as an aluminium alloy 1400cc engine the K series is also available with 1600cc and 1800cc capacities.
There are a wide range of options available for the K series and which of these you will need depends largely on the regulations you race under. To accomodate our customers varied requirements we offer a wide range of kits and components .

The first consideration is capacity; as a 1400cc engine the K series has no serious rivals; as a 1600cc engine the sheer lack of weight will make this a very useful club motorsport power unit; and at 1800cc the K series is a very serious contender amoungst the 2 litre class engines.

All of the K series engines have the same design of block, the difference in capacity is achieved through the use of different cylinder liners and pistons and then a crankshaft with a different stroke.

For customers wanting to increase engine capacity we offer an all steel 1800cc conversion kit which includes a superlight steel crank, steel rods, steel flywheel, forged pistons, and a set of liners.
The first stage to creating a useful motorsport power plant is a change of engine management system. For K series engines we exclusively use the DTA engine management system. This has been upgraded to accomodate the unusual arrangement of flywheel trigger teeth on the various OE flywheels.

For preference we would also change the induction system at this stage. By removing the standard induction system and fitting throttle bodies the engine's ability to breath at higher rpm is greatly improved.

We provide two hydraulic cam profiles for the K series, the fast road Q375H profile and our race profile Q425H cams.

Obviously the characteristics of engines built using these two cam profiles are dependant on the engine capacity and the amount of work which has been done on the cylinder head. It should also be noted (especially with the 1800cc) that these engines are very sensitive to changes in exhaust dimensions.

Having said all of the above, the Q375H cam is a fast road cam profile. Peak power is typically achieved 1000 rpm later than with the standard cams and to reap the full benefits of fitting these cams in a road car you will need to get away from town centre traffic. In a race unit where we would expect some more serious engine modifications this profile has seen over 100 bhp per litre.

By contrast our Q425H cam profile is starting to go beyond the realms of a sensible road engine. Cam timing becomes more critical and by now throttle bodies and a wide bore exhaust are far more than a recommendation. A 1600cc fully race prepared engine running to 8000 rpm can achieve c.200bhp. An 1800cc in a similar state of tune should achieve similar power levels approximately 1500 rpm earlier.

As mentioned above the degree of work carried out on the cylinder head will have a tremendous effect on the engines final power output. In standard guise the cylinder head was originally designed for a 1400cc engine, the valves and ports can then become restrictive for an 1800cc engine.
Having presumably realised this Rover have produced a different cylinder head design with larger valves and wide bore ports for the VVC and VHPD engines.
The result of these changes to the cylinder head give a VVC or VHPD engine even greater potential as a race unit than the standard 1800 and to produce a competition engine which achieves the maximum possible power levels these later cylinder heads are highly desirable.
For customers who wnat to take advantage of this extra potential we offer VVC compatable versions of our cams (note - these are fixed cams and require that the VVC unit be removed and blanked off) or alternatively a big valve big bore cylinder head, with dimensions comparable to the VHPD and VVC cylinder heads and which accept standard cams.

MIGHT BE OF USE TO SOME PETROL HEADS OUT THERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts