MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with demisting / clearing light condensation but only when outside temp gets below about 1 degree or below, it is okay when it above this figure.
Sometimes it like the air con is not on when temp is low outside, is there a sensor that may be causing the problem?
Any Ideas

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm sure someone else will be along soon with more info but it may well be that you aircon is off, even if it lighs up saying it is on. IIRC below 4c air temperature the moisture in the air passing through the car's evaporator will freeze and cause all sorts of problems, hence the aircon clicks off when the ambient temperature drops below that level. Atleast that was the case on my old car, it may even say somewhere in the manual.

Of course I could be totally wrong! Good luck with it anyway

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been only a problem the past couple of months, had car 6 years and not had this problem before

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
could try getting it re-gassed may find its not as effiecient as it used to be, if you get it gassed the system may run colder again, you need to think how the system is actually drying the air, as the air is drawn into the evaporator it is cooled, air can only hold so much moisture, when its hot, it can hold more as its expanded more, less when cold, so the warmer air goes in and gets cooled making it more dense, pushout out the excess mousture, hence how you get the water dripping out on a hot day as the hot air is going through the cold evaportor
if its cold, cold air going through an equally cold evaporator, nothing will happen, so suspect it may need re-gassed so it can run coooler again

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could try getting it re-gassed may find its not as effiecient as it used to be, if you get it gassed the system may run colder again, you need to think how the system is actually drying the air, as the air is drawn into the evaporator it is cooled, air can only hold so much moisture, when its hot, it can hold more as its expanded more, less when cold, so the warmer air goes in and gets cooled making it more dense, pushout out the excess mousture, hence how you get the water dripping out on a hot day as the hot air is going through the cold evaportor
if its cold, cold air going through an equally cold evaporator, nothing will happen, so suspect it may need re-gassed so it can run coooler again

Had it re-gassed before Christmas to try to cure problem

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
This has been only a problem the past couple of months, had car 6 years and not had this problem before
Maybe it's just the weather this year!

When the temp. is below zero there is always very little misting since the air will be dry. When the temp. is above 5 then the air con should work fine, but at 1-4 in damp conditions it will very quickly freeze up and stop working. It ought to stop and unfreeze itself periodically but at close to 0 this can take a long time.

Does it have some effect when it is first switched on or not work at all?

Also, if you have used it recently, does it cause the glass to steam up rapidly when you first start up - if not then there is something wrong.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe it's just the weather this year!

When the temp. is below zero there is always very little misting since the air will be dry. When the temp. is above 5 then the air con should work fine, but at 1-4 in damp conditions it will very quickly freeze up and stop working. It ought to stop and unfreeze itself periodically but at close to 0 this can take a long time.

Does it have some effect when it is first switched on or not work at all?

Also, if you have used it recently, does it cause the glass to steam up rapidly when you first start up - if not then there is something wrong.
When i first switch on it does seem to work for a short while.
The glass does seem to steam up when i turn it on.

When I went to work early yesterday morning it was -4 and worked for a while cleared half way up front windscreen then seemed to not clear any more and the screen was not any different when I got to work, 25 miles / 40 mins later.
Last night on the way home from work it was -2 degrees. so stopped in layby and could not hear aircon on. Sat with car running for a short while to see if it thawed it out a bit but did not, turned back on but did not hear aircon come on.
I have never had this problem before even in the cold snowy weather in December 2010, not in fact since I have had the car and the temp has been below freezing before.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Sounds like it is working correctly to me, aircon is never going to work properly below zero, if it does anything then it will freeze up.

Why is your car misting up when the temperature is below zero?

Is the boot full of water or the carpets damp?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like it is working correctly to me, aircon is never going to work properly below zero, if it does anything then it will freeze up.

Why is your car misting up when the temperature is below zero?

Is the boot full of water or the carpets damp?

carpets and boot are all dry

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
further to my previous questions. I now do not think it is when the outside temp gets low. Last night left work at 9pm and after a few mins pressed auto on climate control unit and only the internal fan came on and not the aircon. Control unit was not on econ setting and external temp was +6.
And this morning left home 6.15am and external temp was +3 and the same thing happened.
Could it be loose wiring somewhere or sensor?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts