MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me advise me on the best way to get more of those horses from my 160, but also the mods have got to be put right easily so the old warranty can still stand.
I know I should be satisfied with what iv'e got, but I like the 160 so much I do not want to change cars.
Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
K & N's website suggests that their replacement panel filters do not void manufacturers warranties (but it's a US website so may not apply) but the filters are easily swapable.
Latest applications list does not list ant Zeds, but may your local parts shop may be able to cross reference if you can give them the MGR part number.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You should get a turbo'd engine:D Simple chip and haypresto 210bhp! comes with 3 year warranty:D

but as you dont have one of those, K&N air filter, better spark plugs and new exhaust should help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check out the K-series bible:
http://members.aol.com/dvandrews/kengine.htm
also read
Modern Engine tuning by A. Graham Bell(excellent for dispelling myths about chips and plugs etc.)
and the follow up book
Four stroke performance tuning.
Moto-build sell a complete replacement exahuast system including cat by-pass(now new cats don't restrict flow that much - contrary to popular belief but they do induce alot of turbulence therefore disrupting flow) and a 4-2-1 header/manifold.

As for changing your spark plugs this is virtually all hype - just check you have the right gap and you could profile the edges of the electrode - as standard they have a square tip - these can be filed to have angular ends like the Champion platinum plugs.
Tim.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried to read that article (very interesting imho) but it is really loooooooooong and my english will took six month to read it all :)
and also im not a mechanic ...so i dont understand about the 90% of the content.
I would ask how many Kgm correspond to ft/lb torque....its really hard to think in english unit ....
Thanks.

Paolo, IT

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would like to complain about the language being used in this thread. specifically the word K&N. they are cheap, they sound nasty and the do nothing for the car :D(opinions expressed are mine only and should not be associated with xopwer-mg.com):D you need to get yourself a PIPER filter, they make a nice noise, they look better than a purple K&N and they DO increase your performance.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Paolo,

1Kgf-m (kilo force meter) = approx 7.233 Lb/ft....

1 lb/ft = approx 0.138 kgf-m

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok. It helps :) Here we don't study english units...only inches 2,54 cm for monitors :) and a bit more.

Thx 4 help.

Paolo, IT

G

·
Piper cross Filter

MGZCLUBuk said:
I would like to complain about the language being used in this thread. specifically the word K&N. they are cheap, they sound nasty and the do nothing for the car :D(opinions expressed are mine only and should not be associated with xopwer-mg.com):D you need to get yourself a PIPER filter, they make a nice noise, they look better than a purple K&N and they DO increase your performance.
I have been searching for a compatable pipercross filter kit. I hoping to get a cool air induction section as well. I haven't been having much joy and the pipercross site only quotes for older 214 models. Could any one recommend a kit and it's P/N and roughly the price.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ive been in contact with GREEN air filters and they dont do an induction kit for the mg as of yet. they do however make a cone filter which uses the standerd air box induction but i a'nt got a price. will post when i find out more!

·
Registered
214 Posts
dont need to order an air filter anymore cause ive used the one that used to be on my fiesta zetec. used a small peice of rain water pipe from work to connect the filter to the inlet hose. works a treat and it sounds evil!:D

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Mike Staur is starting to look at tuning mods for Zs as well as MGFs.

Worth contacting (via his web site) for news of what is in the pipeline.

Mike Satur

Already looking at getting an induction kit for the ZS.

·
Registered
644 Posts
did i here correctly some one used there Cone filter from a fiesta zetec??? as i use to drive a nice Zetec S tuend up quite a bit and the only bit i took with me when i sold it was the Filter! so your saying i can use that?

i think i might have to get my tape measure out!

·
Registered
362 Posts
ZR Nutter started this thread and this is aimed @ him.

If you are looking for serious power then visit www.mynheer.co.uk

They only modify Rover/ MG's so you can rest assured any product is quality.

They make a SUPERCHARGER for the K-series engine which, when added to other engine mods, should get you to between 250 and 300 horses.

Obviously there is a bit of a cash outlay, i'm not mad enough to want that many horses, but someone out there has to do it.

PLEASE.......................

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Hate to throw a spanner in the works, but JLD makes a point about the air filters!!!

Contrary to popular belief, the replacement air filters where you rip out the MGR air box do very little for performance as they normally feed in warmer intake air than before, therefore less density and less bang !!:mad:

The MGR air box is deisgned to take in cool air as far away from heat sources as possible.

The replacement panel filters are OK ish, but you still use the OE trunking, etc.

Basically, unless you start building a cold air intake box and move the battery to the boot, you will see a little improvement.

Even then, on a non Turbo car the advantages are lesser.

Matt.

·
Registered
214 Posts
mickeyblu said:
did i here correctly some one used there Cone filter from a fiesta zetec??? as i use to drive a nice Zetec S tuend up quite a bit and the only bit i took with me when i sold it was the Filter! so your saying i can use that?

i think i might have to get my tape measure out!
yes mate! all ya need is about 5" of standerd size rain water pipe and 2 BIG jubilee clips. slot the pipe into the cone filter (it'll be a loose fit) and tighten it up with one of the clips. then do the same for the air intake pipe on the car. piece of p*ss m8! took me less than 5 mins to do and its saved me at least £70. recycling's cool!:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts