MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust is blowing where the intermediate pipe meets the rear assembly. Qwikfit say the area around the join is rusted through so the whole system needs changing right up to where the pipe meets the catalyst.

So they quoted me £300 for the regular exhaust with the back box or they said they could order a PIPER for £370.

Had a quick look at Rimmers catalogue and I guess what Kwik Fit are asking seems reasonable. I'm not in a position to undertake any repairs myself so it looks like my only option.

I don't how many variations there are on the Piper but I'm guessing it's just the basic replacement they'er quoting me for.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
You could get a bespoke system from powerflow for those prices in stainless steel guaranteed for life.

·
Audi S4 500HP
6,659 Posts
You can chooses different tailpipes with the piper
Nice system,got one myself.
3.5" inwardly rolled is my choice

·
Registered
608 Posts
I had the same thing a couple of months back, only I wasnt in any position to be splashing hundreds of pounds of a bespoke stainless exhaust.

I asked around on a couple of MG forums, and managed to find a second hand mild steel midsection for the cost of delivery, and it was in good nick so I paid a local independent garage to chuck that on for me. When they were doing it, the guy looked at the old one afterwards and said that they would've been able to weld the old one back up, so Id go find yourself a little backstreet garage and see if they'd be able to weld it back up for you. My old one had completely worn through, too. Be warned though, the cat-midsection and midsection-backbox bolts will be rusted solid and more than likely need to be cut off.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all in one custom job in SS for same cost. fit and forget. you'll even get around £50 for your old cat from your local metal recyclers, part financing it.
all in one SS, including the cat for £375, fitted? Where at?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same thing a couple of months back, only I wasnt in any position to be splashing hundreds of pounds of a bespoke stainless exhaust.

I asked around on a couple of MG forums, and managed to find a second hand mild steel midsection for the cost of delivery, and it was in good nick so I paid a local independent garage to chuck that on for me. When they were doing it, the guy looked at the old one afterwards and said that they would've been able to weld the old one back up, so Id go find yourself a little backstreet garage and see if they'd be able to weld it back up for you. My old one had completely worn through, too. Be warned though, the cat-midsection and midsection-backbox bolts will be rusted solid and more than likely need to be cut off.
Pretty sure it can be done, but kwikfit are in the business of selling exhausts. And I just can't be bothered faffing around looking for old pipes to arrive and finding a local garage to do the work only to find out that I'd have been better off just letting kwikfit handling it. At least they won't argue if they make a pigs ear of it. TBH, I can't even afford the KwikFit replacement the way things stand. Maybe I'll look for temporary patch up solution. I don't know. And now I can bearly get the car in gear cause of the duff hydraulics so more expense. Considering getting shot of it, as is. Sad, but gotta be realistic.

But what does everyone think about the KwikFit price? Sounds OK, right?

·
Audi S4 500HP
6,659 Posts
Is it stainless(piper do mild too)
If stainless then OK IMO £370 cat back stainless fitted

·
Registered
731 Posts
i paid 70 odd quid for a backbox incl. fitting, I doubt the middle section is any more.
I have a middle section for a 180, but is it blowing from the back box or the middle section?

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Piper all the way for me:)

You cant beat the Soundtrack from it:getcoat:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Don't use Kwikfit
I said DON'T use Kwikfit !
It may be different where you are but round here they are the biggest bunch of rude useless incompetents that you will ever meet. Always busy (god knows why) so you always wait ages, they con non-savvy people all the time and generally do a shoddy job. And are never near the best price, for tyres anyway.
Of course if you are cash-rich and time-poor then they might suit you....

·
Registered
35 Posts
^^^ what mgdavid said.
They'll do anything possible to get your cash and you out the door as quick as possible. On my old car (Clio), they used a welder to put a mounting bracket for the exhaust back on because he couldn't get it to fit with the bolts. It wouldn't fit because he had it upside down.

The last time I replaced the exhaust on my zs, I regret not going for aftermarket stainless steel. The OEM part cost just as much, if not more, and it's starting to fail again already.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Pretty sure it can be done, but kwikfit are in the business of selling exhausts. And I just can't be bothered faffing around looking for old pipes to arrive and finding a local garage to do the work only to find out that I'd have been better off just letting kwikfit handling it. At least they won't argue if they make a pigs ear of it. TBH, I can't even afford the KwikFit replacement the way things stand. Maybe I'll look for temporary patch up solution. I don't know. And now I can bearly get the car in gear cause of the duff hydraulics so more expense. Considering getting shot of it, as is. Sad, but gotta be realistic.

But what does everyone think about the KwikFit price? Sounds OK, right?
Fair enough if you just want to pay someone to sort the problem, but that convenience wont come cheap.
Any pictures of the exhaust where its blowing? Im struggling to figure out why they want to replace the midsection AND the backbox if there is only one blow...?

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
If replacing the backbox, make sure its the correct one i.e mk1, mk2, hatch, saloon etc. Have seen a few ZS with wrong size backbox and it really doesn't look good.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If i fit the Piper does that count as a mod? You just never know with insurance nowadays?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If replacing the backbox, make sure its the correct one i.e mk1, mk2, hatch, saloon etc. Have seen a few ZS with wrong size backbox and it really doesn't look good.
He told me the standard exhaust they supplied was for the MK1. So is that a no-no?

Sorry, slightly old thread...been abroad.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
He told me the standard exhaust they supplied was for the MK1. So is that a no-no?

Sorry, slightly old thread...been abroad.
Pretty sure it will fit but it will be too short and will look a bit rubbish . . . the Mk II bumper overhang is bigger than the Mk I

I ened up getting a SS exhaust, not because I wanted the noise, but because an OE or aftermarket one was not available . . . but that was a couple of years ago now. Don't Rimmer do the back box ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts