MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ahhh. It's good to be back.....
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Uh oh - HGF?

Sticky mayo in me cap and low, low coolant.......

Nothing obviously wrong when driving but I caught this on my regular maintainance check. Really annoying as I specifially asked the guy I bought the car off if he'd done the uprated HG.

Is K-Seal an option at this stage? Or is it crap?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: Uh oh - HGF?

wouldnt put k seal in, if its gone just go get it done all your doing is putting off the inevitable and possible causig more damage in the process

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah you're right. should i get it pressure tested first to double check do you think?

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on Lates site now!!

There is a MG dealer down the road so I will compare prices.

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope so - he's pricing it up for me tonight

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just check that its not caused by condensation from short runs in cold weather. It can look the same mayo....it isn't always HGF that does this.

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
yeah but the coolant must be going somewhere if it's low:sad:
Have you tried Rallymatt for a quote?? I would use either Rallymatt or Lates because they both come with glowing reputations where as a local garage/dealer might not.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Could be inlet manifold gasket too if it is a K4.....

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just check that its not caused by condensation from short runs in cold weather. It can look the same mayo....it isn't always HGF that does this.
That does sum up my usage! Short runs in the cold. Never get over 3000rpm on the way to work as the car's not warm enough.

I'm getting it pressure tested at the weekend by my local garage. I haven't heard back from Lates which isn't the best of starts tbh!

I'll check the coolant levels carefully over the next few days and see whats going on. I know that my 105 zr drinks coolant with no harm done. It's been doing it for 5 years and nothing seems to be wrong with it. I sometimes wonder if they made these engines from a porous alloy!! (or a colander)

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
K4 in an F/TF does get quite a condensation problem particularly in damp weather.

K4 front engined cars cars should never normally get more than the tiniest amount of condensation in the oil filler cap.

Inlet manifold gasket can fail causing coolant to leak into cyl 4, this has in bad cases wrecked engines as they then hydraulic on 4. Worst I have seen is a split piston, bent valves and cracked head, the power of water!

K4 uses a pressurised cooling system, any leak/loss of coolant means pressure cannot be maintained and so coolant will boil. This is very very bad news for an engine like the K4.It leads to annealing, where the alloy of the head softens and it over stresses other heat sensitive components. Any coolant loss should be seen to asap.

Its true its not always HGF but left it usually leads to HGF in end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts