MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the next 2 weeks off (been to longleat for the first 3 days!!)

So whilst the fiancée at work can mess with the car...

Looking for ways to up the performance but doing this by simple maintenance!
By this I mean, cleaning censors, looking at common issues, etc etc

Leave replies below and maybe we could do a sticky thread on what to do on your days off or if you're bored and feel lime slicing a finger or two?!

I know there's a couple of things I'll add but need to do a proper write down session before I type it up here

Type away fellow owners, it will only benefit us all in the long run....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
very simple things, check your tyres are at the correct pressure, your throttle cable isnt slack, air filters clean ect,
moving on, checking your vis is working, this is something ive nevr had to look at on a car so best asking someone else, but on a kv6, this is a common common problem and you would feel a flatspot if they arent working properly

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got my VIS indicator to fit, after the trip I've just done I can safely say I don't have these issues also the balance valve was replaced 2 month ago!

I would love someone to scan or write up some oil breather instructions as I see this all the time being suggested but never any explanation on piping etc (bit silly to suggest this without to be fair)

Cleaning or dismantling of problem parts (throttle body) sure I read someplace a sheddist guide can't find it though as on iPhone right now!!

Brake caliper issues (what to look for) and how to tell what caliper is causing what problem ???

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Calipers are the easiest to sort out, after a run just put your hand down by each wheel, dont get too near, or touch anything. There will always be a certain amount of heat coming off the disks if you have been braking hard, but the following is only if one disk seems a lot hotter than the others.

If you have a sticky caliper you will feel the heat and smell the pads. Also look at the conditions of the disks, should be a smooth shiny finish, if its not and looks like grooves all round it, you have problems.

If you take the pads out they are also a good indication of how the calipers are working.

:wave:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts