MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(POSTED ON theMGZS.co.uk ALSO - SORRY TO MEMBERS OF BOTH FORUMS)

Ok so.... Found a lovely Mk2 180, low mileage but the belts have not been done. Which is not a problem if the car is the right price, and I think it is very reasonable.

What Im wondering is, are there any experienced MG/Rover mechanics on sites like this that can do the belts/water pump as either a mobile mechanic or a garage around the East Midlands/Anglia area. Im hoping mobile mechanics but I feel it is a massive job for one day, especially the V6. I would rather have this kind of job done by an enthusiast rather than someone who really does not care...

Also, would I be better off buying the parts individually so that I am purely paying labor costs for whoever fits them? I would do it myself (Im an aircraft mechanic) but I neither have the space/time nor tools..... A quick glance at ebay see's a company close to me quoting £800 which I fear is the norm for the V6.

Bit of a mouthful but any thoughts are much appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
600 Posts
(POSTED ON theMGZS.co.uk ALSO - SORRY TO MEMBERS OF BOTH FORUMS)

Ok so.... Found a lovely Mk2 180, low mileage but the belts have not been done. Which is not a problem if the car is the right price, and I think it is very reasonable.

What Im wondering is, are there any experienced MG/Rover mechanics on sites like this that can do the belts/water pump as either a mobile mechanic or a garage around the East Midlands/Anglia area. Im hoping mobile mechanics but I feel it is a massive job for one day, especially the V6. I would rather have this kind of job done by an enthusiast rather than someone who really does not care...

Also, would I be better off buying the parts individually so that I am purely paying labor costs for whoever fits them? I would do it myself (Im an aircraft mechanic) but I neither have the space/time nor tools..... A quick glance at ebay see's a company close to me quoting £800 which I fear is the norm for the V6.

Bit of a mouthful but any thoughts are much appreciated.

Dave

800 when i had mine done it cost around 400 and that was with parts supplied cambelts,waterpump,thermostat ,did it on my drive and also did discs all around and pads which i supplied and catch tank , and a full service and checked car all over and he started at around 9.30 ish and finished around 3 ....shop around and find a better price dont put up with people ripping u off just because they either dont want the job or dont know what they are doing...there are probably quite a few people on here that will help i know theres some one called lates600 i beleive who does cambelts in 3 hours.
some times it might be worth getting in touch with people that deal with the freelander and landrovers as they use same engines also so they will know whats what.

·
Registered
600 Posts
no worries there are also a few companies that advertise on here but ive never used them...i think mg rover solutions is a good one he is also mobile..

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Lates in Coventry is the Man:MG:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have emailed lates and another (cant remember which one) both seem to offer very good prices that I would be more than happy to pay, lets just see about travel, since im in the sticks....

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Lates deffo. I got most of my stuff, belt kit, water pump off ebay, and metal thermostat off kaiser and he fitted. Drove up Sat morning spent a glorious few hours on a walk and lounging around Wellingborough in the sunshine and about 4 hours later was on my way home.
They provide an excellent service and will be seeing me next time that's for sure.

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Another vote for Lates here.:yup:
He did the belt change on my old ZS180 and was excellent. You could watch them working if you wanted to and Layton and his guys told you exactly what was going on and any bits that would need doing in the future.
Lates also has an official service book stamp so keeps the history sorted and can read your ECU fault codes and reset any.

All done in 3-4 hours as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts