MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on for a while, what with being busy at work etc, but I have noticed a couple of things on the 180.
Firstly, the revs keep jumping up whenever the clutch is depressed during gear changes (but only when cold) and surges forward. The TPS is working ok as the old one came up with a fault code when it did this before but there are no codes? Any ideas?
Also, there appears to be a slight whine from the gearbox, but actually I think that's always been there, and hasn't affected anything yet, but the gears feel very notchy and reverse (unless caressed into place) crunches when being engaged. Could this be low fluid in the gearbox, if so , how do you check for that and then top up?

If anyone can give me some pointers I would be very grateful. :)

Oh, the dreaded rattle from the manifold seems to be more present when she's cold, does this sound right or is there something else at play here?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Revs jumping quite normal on the East Coast, the wind tends to get the cars engine colder for some reason...

I had to change the whole throttle body as it was holding revs, wouldn't go back to rest position :(

Ignore the manifold noise, can't see any performance issues from mine (little tick every now and then)

Gearbox oil, Haynes ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The revving problem could be the idle air control valve, located on top of the throttle body. Might need cleaning out and de-greasing as oil can contaminate it. I need to do mine to be honest.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Revs jumping quite normal on the East Coast, the wind tends to get the cars engine colder for some reason...

I had to change the whole throttle body as it was holding revs, wouldn't go back to rest position :(

Ignore the manifold noise, can't see any performance issues from mine (little tick every now and then)

Gearbox oil, Haynes ;)
Cheers James, it is a new throttle body and was doing it before so think it could be the ICV. Will definately get on to the gearbox oil tho, and may even bung some of that stuff in enginge oil to help reduce tappet noise as the rattling seems to be louder when cold, unless that is what they do when rattling?
By the way, I think I may have seen you in Yarmouth about a month ago at the staples roundabout about half six ish?? I was in my mates car, not the 180.

The revving problem could be the idle air control valve, located on top of the throttle body. Might need cleaning out and de-greasing as oil can contaminate it. I need to do mine to be honest.
I think I may have slightly damaged the spring on the ICV when I changed the TB. Might just get a new/2nd hand decent one and get it done!

Thanks to both of you for the info, appreciated as always ;) :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Kirk, my new throttle body came with all the sensors new included with it, did yours not?

Mine still does it - even with the new unit LOL!

Don't think it was me, infact sure it wasn't!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a 2nd hand one, it did come with all the sensors, but I cleaned it all before putting it on and think I may of moved the spring to much inside the ICV.....DOH!
Oh well, i will have a look for another Idle valve and try again as I keep getting the car pushing forwards when cold, very annoying. Even pushes/surges forward with the brakes on!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
if the iacv has been changed or position moved, the car can re-learn.

takes about 30 mins to do so.

needs to see ac on/off, lights/alternator load etc, cold and hot engine, when done, will idle like a dream.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if the iacv has been changed or position moved, the car can re-learn.

takes about 30 mins to do so.

needs to see ac on/off, lights/alternator load etc, cold and hot engine, when done, will idle like a dream.
Unfortunately, not if I have damaged the spring :(

·
Registered
398 Posts
fogive me for such a daft question, what spring??

pic?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Unfortunately, not if I have damaged the spring :(
you have to completely remove the shaft from the motor to get to the spring, is this what you did?
the spring is a flimsey little thing that is easily moulded back to shape.
If you didn't seperate the shaft from the motor is is near impossible to damage the spring as its protected and housed within a plastic collet.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
IACV repair kit is worth a go. I have a spare TB but I think I lost the spring... would it be jsut that bit you need? Do not turn the ignition on with everything disconnected such that you can fire the plunger from the IACV.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fogive me for such a daft question, what spring??

pic?
Inside the Iac, which, as has been mentioned by Jasons is inside the shaft.

you have to completely remove the shaft from the motor to get to the spring, is this what you did?
the spring is a flimsey little thing that is easily moulded back to shape.
If you didn't seperate the shaft from the motor is is near impossible to damage the spring as its protected and housed within a plastic collet.
I didn't remove the shaft but may have damaged the spring when cleaning inside, I might just be being paranoid but it didn't feel right after I cleaned it.

IACV repair kit is worth a go. I have a spare TB but I think I lost the spring... would it be jsut that bit you need? Do not turn the ignition on with everything disconnected such that you can fire the plunger from the IACV.
I have got one coming which cost nowt from another member on another site. I will swap it over and see. So if it's not that then at least I can rule that out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts