MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well worth your time if you're interested in the technical side of Motor Racing's history.

MZ Two Stroke Technology

You see, it IS all about Rocket Science... Designer Walter Kaaden worked on the WWII V1 and V2s. ....;)

When Ernst Degner defected and took the technology to Japan, the rest became history.

In the days when you could stand much closer to the race tracksides despite the "Motor Racing is Dangerous" signs, to have a Suzuki square four GP Machine go closeby at racing speeds was an experience and a half. .... to the ears.
Clarkson would benefit by listening to this.

·
www.irishhillclimb.com
211 Posts
unfortunatly, link wont work for me, but i presume the story is about how Suzuki owe everything they are today to their theft of MZ technology?

Love MZ's, they're so unusual, like me :D :D

this is mine...

( i do Not own a Suzuki :D )

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a time when MZs like yours were a common sight on the roads of the former green and pleasant. Mind you, I was riding a Meriden built new Triumph back then and my mate had a heavily modified BSA Rocket Gold Star. Lots of genuine Gold Star bits. The latter bike I rode and achieved my fastest ever speed on a Motor Cycle wearing only jeans, a T-Shirt, plimsols and not even goggles. Showing 130mph+ on the speedo and boy, did my eyes water at that speed ~ all quite legally on London's North circular back then.

You do that sort of thing when you're very young and do not know any better.

Whatever happened to Meriden. I visited the factory back in 1962 needing attention to my bike. Probably high density housing now. Nothing lasts forever ... :(

When Mike Hailwood rode the GP MZ in the former East Germany he was so impressive they held him as a bit special. Rightly so. They do not make 'em like him anymore.

·
www.irishhillclimb.com
211 Posts
i still do similar kinds of silly s+it and im definatly old enough to know better :D HA!

Stick up a pic of the Triumph and your mates if you can :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i still do similar kinds of silly s+it and im definatly old enough to know better :D HA!

Stick up a pic of the Triumph and your mates if you can :)
Annoyingly no pictures of my bikes. Trouble is, I could not afford to own both a bike and a camera back then. Photography was expensive back then unlike the digital throwaway stuff today. Sad but true. Soon after I got a red MGB and someone, cannot remember who, maybe my dad, took one of the few pictures I have from those great faraway days. That picture is not to hand. However, this one is. This is a picture of me and my then "dollybird" girlfriend, now my wife, in the blue MGB which replaced my first one :~

We have two fine sons and both are into cars, particularly my oldest boy now in his late twenties. Dunno where he gets that from ... :)

Had loads of bikes over the years. Here's a picture of my CB400 F1 bought new in 1975. I sold it about ten years ago for rather more than I paid for it new. The blue Austin Allegro in the background was my company car... :) Nowt wrong with the Allegro in my books. The twin carbed 1750 flew by the then 1970-80 standards of performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts