MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got it yesterday, you've all seen the pic in the previous post, I have some questions open for comment.

I got Max Power and the review was good but they were critical of the brakes. I too feel that they are slightly spongy and I don't know if they would stop me when they needed to. Anyone else think this? WIll they bed in? It feels like you really have to press hard for a response.

Nice clutch action, low bite which forces you to pull off quick, but then I have a pedal travel of about 3 inches of nothing. Anyone else? Is it cos they need clearance to get your foot underneath on a run? Is it easy to adjust?

Running in?

I took it up to 5000 revs but I don't want to hurt it, It's my 2nd baby. Opinions?

Seats are comfy and I like the interior, despite what the critics say.

upgraded to Kenwood but the original speakers are in there and they are ****e. Anyone else had the same problem?

Matthew

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with you about the seats - I really like them, can't see why some people don't. Perhaps they must be a funny shape!
I have the Kenwood CD fitted but the sound is a bit lacking. Heard the same stereo in a ZS and it sounded much better. How easy is it to change the speakers. Is it a DIY job or is it a specialsit job?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Question 2.

I think I may me able to help with this one. I have a +120 and I found that there was a lot of slack on the clutch when I took it to my local dealer they found that the clutch cable adjuster was broken:(

May be worth asking your dealer to have a look.

·
The Cleaner (aka jon)
986 Posts
1. I got Max Power and the review was good but they were critical of the brakes. I too feel that they are slightly spongy and I don't know if they would stop me when they needed to. Anyone else think this? WIll they bed in? It feels like you really have to press hard for a response.

Ive yet to drive a ZR :( but if they are anything like r45 brakes (which i hope not :)) they do bed in nicely

2. Nice clutch action, low bite which forces you to pull off quick, but then I have a pedal travel of about 3 inches of nothing. Anyone else? Is it cos they need clearance to get your foot underneath on a run? Is it easy to adjust?

Again, havent driven one yet, i dont know why im even answering :)

3. Running in? I took it up to 5000 revs but I don't want to hurt it, It's my 2nd baby. Opinions?

Ive read, and was instructed on the r45 to keep below 3k for 500 miles and then slowly ramp up other the next 800 or so.

4. Seats are comfy and I like the interior, despite what the critics say.

This is something i can comment on :D I was a touch disappointed by the interior. The electrics seemed an after thought, the venting system seemed very breakable and the dash looked ... well, of low quality.

This is all made up for with the lovely seats. I think the leather trim is excellent and really makes the car striking inside.

5. Upgraded to Kenwood but the original speakers are in there and they are ****e. Anyone else had the same problem?

Which level of kenwood did you upgrade to? I thought the cd player came with uprated speakers too?

jb

·
Registered
46 Posts
5. I also upgraded to Kenwood and the sound quality is .... well .... not as good as my Volvo :eek:

Then again, the engine note is so good ... I'ld rather be listening to that any day :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Zr 160

I thought the brakes were a bit spongy on my 160 - they aren't a huge amount different now, but you stamp on them hard and trust me they will stop!!

I kept mine below 800rpm until about 800-1000 miles, but it's only since I passed 2000-2500miles that the car has realy come alive.

Clutch pedal seems normal on mine bit is quite low but starts have become better for me now - I guess I have just got used to it. The gear change becomes much better over time aswell - don't get the wrong idea it's fine when new but gets smoother with miles.

I have the kenwood head unit and my next upgrade will be the speakers - I think there should be a get together of like minded owners to go in for a group buy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
First thing i noticed when i picked up my 120+ was the low bite on the clutch.... I stalled it 4-5 times driving out of the show room!! The dealer p*&*ed himself. But I have got used to it.

I found the brakes weren't as responsive as i liked but as said before they soon kick in when pushed hard enough.

I've done 600 miles in mine and have opened it up a few times (can't resist it!) but settle down when reaching 6000rpm:D

Word is these cars just get faster and faster so I'm getting as many miles on the clock as possible!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All,

I've had my Platinum silver 160 for a month now and i noticed all the points raised above too...
but as for running in I was told by my "friendly" Dixons dealer that you didnt have to bother as they are bench run in anyway...needless to say I have ignored him.

Having come from a laguna with 2 12" subs in the boot the stereo sounds like pants (probably shattered eardrums) so i would be very interested in any mods people make to the sound systems.

Anyway, as this is my first post i will keep it short and sweet....

Rob.
:cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
ive fitted a sony cdx-ca850 in my zr along with a couple of jbl 6x9's. ive kept the standerd door speakers due to lack of funds (my first payment comes out soon :( ) and the fact i dont fancy pulling off the door cards of a brand new motor! the head unit puts out 52watts per channel so its loud enough, plus ive 2 12inch kicker impulse subs run off a 4x250w alti amp. sounds ok but i realy could do with uprating the door speakers with some better quality items.

·
Registered
214 Posts
oh yeah, i forgot to mention, drove like a saint for the first 1000 miles, never took it above 4grand. been givin it a bit of stick lately though used a small amount of oil to. is this normal? never checked the level when i picked it up so it could ave been low to start with!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would check your oil on a regular basis (every week). I've had my zr 160 for 6 months now and I've put two litres in it. If I hadn't checked the engine would be no more

ps It say's in the manual that you should check your oil on a weekly basis.

Kev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice !

I am still waiting (5 weeks and counting) for my friendly Dixons sales-pleb to send me the owners manuals!!!
Still, there is something nice about shouting at them everyday....

Rob.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts