MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You got there first, Kev!
Seems with all that going on, MG-R needn't worry about economies of scale, and I would imagine suppliers are tearing to kiss ass at Longbridge, what with promise of access to that market!
P.S. Forget Ford forever! Blood will be running in the gutters at LR and Jag B4 to long.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Hopefully, in time, MGR will start developing their own engines.

TVR are aiming at a different market and have customers who are willing to pay substantial amounts for their cars.

MGR cars are affordable to many more people and have to be priced accordingly.

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
TVR's are hand made supercars yet cost under £50K, only the Cerbera Speed 12 costs more. I hope the Ford V8 will be a one off, this country has produced some super engines, it is losing its reputation in engineering.

G

·
I can think of Triumphs cobbled together 3.0 V8 in the Stag, that caused horrendous problems in the early days. The saviour for ARG was the ubiqutious Buick V8 - still in production for LR. Also still to be found in run out models for TVR (Griff500) and Morgan!

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
The Triumph Stag engine was a mistake due mainly though to build quality, I was speaking to a chap with a Stag before christmas and his had done an incredible mileage on the same Triumph engine without any problems. Also remember that the 4 cylinder engine was used in Saabs, and they bought and made it in Sweden, again without problems.
I've had Jags with their famous XK engine, but one blew a head gasket, that was a 70's car, build quality again. The Dolomite Sprint engine same story. Had any of these engines been made today they would have been superb. The Buick was a good engine when it came here, but Rover made it Great.

G

·
cerbman said:
The Dolomite Sprint engine same story. Had any of these engines been made today they would have been superb.
I had a Dolly Sprint for 4 years (I think). Motor had been skimmed by then. I did approx 30,000 trouble free miles with only a timing chain and starter motor replaced. I have to admit I did use to shuffle on a bit too!

Jerry

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
For a long long time it has been accepted that Britain has some of the best designers and engineers in the world.

Why has British business not recognised that fact and given backing to them and their ideas, they have had to go abroad for far too long.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I'm sure Powertrain have the abilities to develope further engines and configurations as and when required. Don't forget that with all the money that Ford have got or seems to have, the Aston Martin V12 is not a new engine but a cobbled Ford V6 mated together. Guess what - it works as well. How about 2 KV6's mated together to form a V12 or 4 pot K's to make a V8.

Many years ago BMC or BL did make a 3 cylinder engine which was intended to be used in the Metro - Dave might know more about this!

Yes, the Stag in essence was 2 Sprint engines, quality control let the unit down.

Never underestimate an Englishman when his back is up against the wall.

I'm British and proud of it. Maybe TVR do make a fantastic engine but their product is not bullet proof. RAC free membership comes for free, for a lifetime!!!!!!

Jim

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.