MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never actually believed how defined the psuedo transmission was on the 75/ZT until today. Seeing the cars in final assembly, the transmission tunnel was thoroughly defined and obvious is large enough to accomodate a prop shaft without modification. :D

What's more the fuel tank, situated under the rear seats also has a transmission tunnel cut out, as well.

Therefore as mentioned before many times, the car was designed under *** stewardship could have been 4wd or rear wheel drive right from the start! :D ZT385 here we come, watchout M3. :D

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Glad you had a goofd day Jerry, shame I couldn't go... Looking forward to reading the complete report... :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picture of the tunnel!

The attached picture is the transmission tunnel. Currently used on the R75/ZT for the exhaust system. The black coloured item with the attached heat shield is the fuel tank recess. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Matt Hicks said:
Yeah it is quiet pronounced isn't it.

The 75 is a heavily modified 5 series platform so I guess it will be there.

Matt.
now hang..... the 75 shares the 5 series rear suspension and they both have the same type of front suspension, but from what I have read over the past few years the resemblance ends there. Bernd Pichetsreider and Herr Reitzle were most emphatic that Rovers would be their own machines and not use ANY *** platforms

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 75 doesn't share the 5-series rear suspension. the 5-series being RWD and the 75 being FWD shows the major difference, the 75 has a Z-axle like most ***'s but the way a RWD Z-axle works is very different to the way a FWD one does.

·
Registered
81 Posts
75 platform

I have heard two stories oin the 75 platform.

the first is that it was the *** FWD modular platform reworked.

the second is that it was all completed by Rover engineers before *** bought Rover and the only major changes made were to substitute the Z axle rear suspension and pop in the *** favoured McPherson Strut/coil front suspension.

so which one is it?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
In my opinion, the story about the platform being completed before *** came on the scene sounds very unlikely.

At this time, the 600 was relatively new and was not a priority to replace, in fact it was probably the least in need of replacement. *** decided to kill off 600 before it's time in the end - not Rover. This was at board level because they resented paying royalties to Honda - a company which refused to even communicate with Munich after the take over.

Coming back to this 5 series thing again - There is a saying that nothing in the motor industry is new, everything is borrowed and changed.

I was told by a very reliable source that the 75 floor stems from a very heavily modified 5 series floorpan.

This is probably true, in that the origins lie here. Very little on any modern car is designed simply by being drawn on a blank sheet of paper, then produced and refined.

The opposite actually happens. A current good design/design is worked on and refined as best it can - hence cars evolving much like us.

Sometimes in a big way - like the K series engines, which bravely borrowed from lots of different places and then bolted together (using very few bolts :D) to become revolutionary.

Hence the majorly reworked Z axle rear - originally seen in the 3 series I believe.

It would explain why the 75/ZT are so good though - the 5 series is not exactly a bad floorpan - still best in class by miles now, some 5 years after it's launch!!!! :mad: M5 is still claimed to be "The Greatest Saloon Car in the World" almost unanimously by the worlds press.

Z axle ain't crap either - now being copied by almost all others!

Therefore, although I intensly dislike *** as a company, it is certainly nothing to be ashamed of if 75 's origins do stem from there.

Roll on the 385 and co. to try and take that awesome title from the German bahnstromer.

Matt.

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
5-series floorpan

I read that if you look at each car from underneath, the similarities are obvious. The other day, in a spirit of enquiry, I parked our ZT next to a current 5-series. As well as what looks like the same wheelbase, it looks like the door hinges are in the same place. These are notoriously hard to move due to crash safety regulations - just look at the Merc SLK and Chrysler Crossfire, where apparently different cars share the same wheelbase, A-pillar and door hinges.
All in all, I reckon that it's absolutely true, and the 75/ZT platform really is based on the 5-series. That's great, in terms of quality and safety, but also leads to the 75/ZT's hefty weight and limited rear legroom.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
:rockon:

Thanks,

Very interesting.

I imagine that the hinges must be very difficult to move because the energy absorbing crumple zones are obviously part of the floor pan as well as the bodyshell.

Therefore if you used a spawned floorpan with a different shell like 75, you can't change where the doors are on the car as they need to be above the same point on the floorpan for the vehicles structural integrity.

I think I am going to have a look at the bosses 5 series when I get a mo.

It would be interesting to see what they have done to extend the wheelbase for the Vanden Plas and what the effects are on rigidity etc compared with the usual.

Matt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts