MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
For those in love with these beasts. And I am - check out these downloads (recco the JOHN PRICE download - the engine note sounds absolutely fabulous). Probably more in love with a 6R4 than MAX, but don't tell her. :D (I have a signed 6R4 print by the Maestro himself). Depicting him steering the MG through the Welsh forests, which is proudly hanging in my living room.

6R4 Downloads + others :D

You won't be disappointed!

JLD - have you the phone number of the guy selling that 6R4??

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Oh! Another thing ensure you have the speaker volume UP - when replaying this VIDEO clip - brings a tear to your eye! Phoned JIM and asked to recognise the car from the "Sound Track" guess what; he got it right?

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Jerry
Don't have a phone number to hand, but you can contact MG owners club - it was them who were advertising it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
6R4

I know that the car is no longer at the MGOC - does Kelvin know its whereabouts? The owner was asking £20k, I'll give him £18k. Then respray it in NIMMONSFLINT - orange & black!

Hope you guys have downloaded Prices "soundtrack," ideal website noise!

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Daily Telegraph

Well, maybe Nimmonsflint would sponsor you Jay. They featured on the second page of this weeks Saturday Telegraph Property Guide.

NB. Not a bad website too. Wonder who does that one? Strange they have a house in Oxford for sale on that site too (thought they were Lincs based).

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
6R4 at MGOC

The car that featured in the MGOC is for sale. Only done 6 miles since built. However, I guess the engine and suspension/brakes will require a rebuild.

Before, I decide I need to speak to Dave Appleby (6R4) builder and fettler. Does anyone have his telephone number?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
WOW.

That is a cool photo!! Is there a website where I can find out a bit about the 6R4. Would be interested to know a lot of info about it!! Where was it made?????? A Maestro floorpan???

What a bandit of a machine. I heard that sound sample and must say it sounds Awesome. Good at the end of the clip when the car is in top gear at what sounds like top(ish) speed. The guy comes off the throttle and listen to that transmission whine on the overrun!!!!! It must be 1/4 mile away but you can still hear it!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Matt.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Have a brochure on the car somewhere, will have to dig it out. Basically in the mid 1980's they cost over £40k, until Grp B was banned.

Williams were contracted to build 200 "Clubmans spec" cars - 280bhp for homologation purposes of which 16 were converted to International spec - 400bhp.

When Grp B was banned - the 200 cars were nearly unsaleable. At the time I could have bought a new car from "Wadham Stringer" for £15,500, hence the brochure (at the time it was a third of our house price - so no deal). Brochure signed by Rob Arthur - Ponds Co-driver!

Even then the car would not run for your £16k. All of the cars then and today had to have their engines rebuilt. Which maybe prohibitive for me in even contemplating buying this one. Nelson engine builders was a name I remember - not sure if they are on the go today!

I will phone John Price tomorrow and ask his opinion There is another soundtrack on this site too. Also note he builds new cars. Dave Appleby used to build new Metros in partnership with Tony Pond initially - dubbed first TPR4100 and then DAM4100 (Tony Pond Racing - Dave Appleby Motorsport), using the last incarnation of the Metro as a basis - looked nice too!

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
John Price - real gent!

Just spoken to John Price - nice chap.

He knows of a 6R4 with 350bhp for sale (Goodman engine) & a road trimmed one with 400 miles. All sorted, for sensible money.

Tried to speak to the MGOC this am. The guy I needed to speak to was out. But from what I can gather the above 6R4 maybe prohibitive cost wise to sort, amongst other things!

Spoken to JIM of Nimmonsflint - and it would be resprayed in Knighthawk - nimmonsflint corporate ORANGE & BLACK. Maybe with an XPower Logo - oh no not more hassle (ask Kernahans too). Now to buy the car - John Price said he would let me know if they become available! Now this will be worth taking to a trackday! :D

Watch out, theres a 6R4 about!

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Kelvin - of course. Just hope you can manage to pan the camera quick enough. :D

Anyone wanna a buy a 6 months old Saxo? It's now gotta go!

6R4 needed to show the EVO's the way home at the Rally Day!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
That blue 6R4 does look the dogs. A 6R4 does look particularly good in tarmac spec with the Speedline alloys(?) and wide wheels/tyres.

Remeber watching the 6R4's on Grandstand when they were competing on the Scottish Open Rally Championship. Think it was Pondy, Mcrea(Jimmy) and Llewelyan(spelt wrong). Anyway they got dust in the induction and sounded brill coughing and spluttering. Unfortunately they were retired due to this.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Actually there was one 6R4 that got to the finish of the Scottish in 1986... David Gillanders.... we built the engine... as a result of him getting to the finish, Nelson Engines became inundated with factory and customer engines for the WRC.

Although to be fair, the probable reason for Gillanders not suffering from dust contamination was as his car used a club engine with club air filter, which was less susceptable to dust.

My 2c

Mike.

Edited in:

And as an answer to an earlier question about Nelson Engines.

They went Bust around 1993 ish.. David Appleby bought most of the 6R4 stuff, as he also did with what was left of the ARG "MET-" part number stuff that was still at ARG just 2 years ago.

Dave Midgley, Nelson Engines very own soul man, was doing a lot of 6R4 work for David Appleby until recently, but he can still be contacted where he now does engines for www.norrisdesigns.com

Sam Nelson ran away to the USA, where he has now re-established Nelson Engines in Atlanta Georgia. Anyone wanting his phone number or that of Dave Midgley can email me directly.

Rgds. Mike.

Edit end:

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
One more point....

That picture of a standard 6R4 engine bay... isn't totally standard.. and it looks as though it has gone more than 6 miles...

The standard cars that we in the field had an air filter box mounted on the roll cage tubing with a flexy tube down to the inlet throttle body. The filter shown in that picture is on the kevler carbon elbow and was part of the clubmans kit.

The standard engines only had about 220 bhp, and would throw a cam belt without the belt cover kit.......... Also be wary as the front cam bearing tolerances were too tight and they siezed as often as not as soon as the engine got warm.........

If you or anyone wants me to have a look at a 6R4 that is for sale... my services are available.

£200 per day plus expenses.

Ciao..

Mike.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Mike

Thanks for the update. Didn't know about "Nelson" engines. Discovered Dave Appleby had retired to Cornwall after speaking to John Price. Lot of water has gone under the bridge since I first looked at a 6R4.

Also the above pictured 6R4 has been looked at by John Price - mentioned he couldn't find a VIN plate. I then mentioned a figure to put it right + purchase. Total figure doesn't make financial sense (I guessed at £10k to fix it - but I think the purchase price is too high of the car).

The Lancer guys often talk of Norris Designs - they are building an EVO with silly BHP - 600.

Thanks for the offer, I'll bare it in mind. Could I miss this final boat, I ask? Probably if MGR get their ZT385 released!

·
Registered
179 Posts
There's a movie of a 6R4 doing a launch with traction control on the following site:

Powerstation

(Site seems down at the mo.)

Whilst at the CCC day at Castle Coombe I saw the Norris Designs 500+ bhp EVO... Erm, WOW! :eek:

Hopefully there will be a few 6R4's doing the rounds at the Rally Action Day at Castle Coombe organised by the Mitsubishi Lancer Register. Near the end of June?

Group B Car Club used to have a few 6R4 driving members at their track days, too.

"Which was nice" ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
I have done work for John Price, Simon Norris and Dave Appleby in the past, they are all really nice guys.

I spoke to Dave about 2 months ago, he didn't say that he had "retired" simply that property was cheaper down there... as far s I understand it he is still building and preparing cars. The last time I did some owrk for him he was building NEW 6R4's and even getting them registered with NEW reg numbers.

The trouble is that the engines are getting tired on all of them now, but even so.... If I can find the right car, for the right money... I'll buy one.... one day. Until then the Integrale will have to do if I insist on having an unreliable money pit...

Ciao..

Mike.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Squizz take a look at the "Events" Forum - we have 7 cars booked into the Castle Combe day at the moment - which reminds me (Guys I need your cheques). Take a look at the thread (was there last yr with a VI)! Why not bring the TR8? I'm sure we couid make an exception in this case.

I asked about the white 6R4 that was their last yr - owned by Dialynx - wanted mid £30's for it! (have a picture of it somewhere - will add later).

Powerstation - is that the rolling road outfit at Cheltenham?

EVO on the road there in 1999 - made what is said on the box - 282 bhp.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Jerry - I've posted on the Castle Coombe thread in reply. I'll try and see if Dad'll bring the car along. I fancy some more track action and a go at those chicanes...Cheers.

That is indeed Powerstation in Cheltenham. We've got a scooby(ish) organised group power-run on Saturday May 18th if anyone's interested??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts