MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Out Of Touch
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My MOTis due next month, which means i have owned the ZS for a year! Scary thought that another year has gone. I had all the belts, water pump, tensioner and thermostat done in june a few months before the cars 6th birthday.

Now i'm wondering what to do with regards to service. I was thinking of just doing the oil/filter, spark plugs and air filter. Will that be all i need to do? I'm basically flat broke at the minute and need to do it all as cheaply as possible. I have access to a ramp so can get it up in the air.

Thanks.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Think thats a good idea, but I would check the pads all round, if they are OK no worries, but they do seem to wear unevenly and a pad change and free off, could save doing the disks.

Also check antifreeze is up to strength, also washer water has some ice protection.

Dont know how much the fuel filter costs but if thats not been changed might be worth doing. Only other thing I would think about, depending on cash availability is the gearbox oil, its got to be a special oil, which I suppose means pricey oil. Just check fluid levels in the steering, brake and clutch, to make sure they are OK.

MOT should pick up any other mechanical probs that will require sorting.

:wave:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Dont know how much the fuel filter costs but if thats not been changed might be worth doing.
About £6 off ebay, worth doing as this causes all sorts of problems and for some unknown daft reason is not thought of as a CRITICAL service component?!

Only other thing I would think about, depending on cash availability is the gearbox oil, its got to be a special oil, which I suppose means pricey oil.
Got mine renewed (drained and re-filled) at my local garage, used 11 pumps of the barrel and that cost me £9!!

Be sensible with what you do, if you have a Haynes manual this is a bible, sometimes just have a read up on things if nothing on TV lol

check the "How-To" Guides on the forum and see what you can do or maintain/spruce up

I have and it's made a world of difference :D

·
Registered
951 Posts
. . . . . . About £6 off ebay, worth doing as this causes all sorts of problems and for some unknown daft reason is not thought of as a CRITICAL service component?!
The Fuel filter is a change at 4years / 60k according to MGRs service schedule - same time as the spark plugs .

It's noted in MGR's 'paperwork' so it seems they thought it was critical - that should be good enough for the rest of us ;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you want to replace your lovely rusty fuel filter every 4 yrs - please do

At 6 quid a time, yearly is best

While you're at it stick some sand in your fuel tank and sawdust in your engine oil too!

See my point?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yes James, I now understand your point.

I had read your earlier comment as though you were implying that fuel filters were not noted on any schedule for change at all.

If you want to replace your lovely rusty fuel filter every 4 yrs - please do
Bit harsh - you know how to hurt a boy's feelings don't you! :)

But - "Yes I will" - those boys and girsl at MGR knew a thing or two about making cars (Bloody useless at marketing the damned things though!). I've driven about a third of a million miles in Austin Rover / MGR cars without failure to complete a journey. :yup:

At 6 quid a time, yearly is best
I can understand that you may want to do this and it's nice to see someone look after their motor.

However, I have just about managed to run a Rover 400 and ZS180 for 220k miles having done all the servicing (apart from the 400s cam belt change - just didn't have the time) including changing the three cam belts on the KV6. I've not suffered a single breakdown or failure to "get there and back" in that period. I've also maintained four other K series engined MGRs driven by my wife, and more recently by the kids - which have covered some 120k miles between them in the same period. All this by following the service schedule - to me, nigh on a third of a million miles of pretty much trouble free motoring (apart from three impacts - hardly the cars' fault though - pesky kids!!;)) proves that the servicing schedule devised by the manufacturer is adequate.

While you're at it stick some sand in your fuel tank and sawdust in your engine oil too!
Oooh, that hurts!:D

On a similar point though, where do you stop? Do you change your cam belts every 3 years, clutch every two years, brakes and discs every year?

Presumably not because of the costs involved, but would this mean that you believe MGRs engineers and trust their opinions on the expensive jobs, but think they didn't know what they were talking about when it comes to a £6 part?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
if cash is toght get the MOT done first and see whats what, an oil and filter change is the most iiportant thing to do, other things arent as pressing, a dirty air filter will at worst make the car sluggish, fuel filter the same although if its never been changed id advise to do to it soonish, gear oil doesnt really get that dirty as its not in any contact with the combustion proicess, youd probably see it looked brand new if you changed it so its something that can deffo wait,
spark plugs again, they will last a while if the car isnt missing its another thing that can wait a wee while until cash is better

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Finally changed my fuel filter today after 2 years of procrastinating. "Quick Release" connectors, my foot!! I had to resort to hammer and a chisel to tap the bottom hose free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts