MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Got the MG bug bad...
1,307 Posts
At least they looked at it properly and found some good points unlike Top Gear. Although i prefer TG to watch

·
Registered
385 Posts
At least they looked at it properly and found some good points unlike Top Gear. Although i prefer TG to watch
Prefer 5th gear for actual car information but tg does make me laugh however I do feel that tg presenter hav disappeared up Thier own behinds. My dad dealt with clarkson when he worked for press and demo @ land rover and did not have to many good things to say. My other contacts in the tv world hav also reported that the other two are not as easy going as they make out to the point of being rude and in danger of disappearing up there own behinds.
Ben Collins on the other hand was a real gent who was treated very badly unfortunately none of the presenters actualy had the balls to say things to his face!
I met tiff when I was competing in a comp and he was a real gent, signed autographs and would spk to anyone. Top man.

P.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
"screwed together at Longbridge" is a bit of a stretch!

They could almost be driven off the boat!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sorry but the cars are crap, they look bland ( apart from the front which has potential!) , they hav mediocre performance and are a shallow effort on the cars that came before them!
Sorry if I offend anyone but I was so disappointed when I got to look over one
And yet some of the leaked photo's showed a real beefy head turner!

P.

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
Oh dear oh dear. That says pretty much what i have been saying for months.
http://fwd.channel5.com/fifth-gear/videos/other/fifth-gear-web-tv-mg6-review
MG needed to make the MG6 BETTER than it's rivals AND cheaper to get a foothold in themarket. No Derv at launch....epic fail.
Honest review in my opinion and I've driven the tsi. Fairly good car let down by the interior quality and outdated engine. No diesel variant at launch is a big downfall, the diesel one comes along it won't get any press. I saw this on .org and you could honestly put a MG badge on a turd and they'd defend it to the hilt.

·
How hard can it be?
20 Posts
Hurry up MG and get that diesel engine, body kit, and a ZS 180 style rear spoiler on the Magnette, it will appeal to more people then. Oh and put some more soft touch plastics to give the journos hard ons :lol:, they will be more kind then.

·
Audi S4 500HP
6,659 Posts
Could be worse considering the engine errrr choices.(lack of)
I like the saloon TBH & with a little more oomph could make a nice motor

·
Registered
608 Posts
then. Oh and put some more soft touch plastics to give the journos hard ons
They really are quite hung up on the plastics, arent they?

The guy raises an interesting point, one I've heard before; the car just doesnt make sense at the moment. Its cheap to buy but expensive to run, which is a mad combination. I was saying this a while ago, MG really should have waited for the new diesel and petrol engines before releasing the car.
As much as the .org-ers love the K series, even it it was technically advanced when it was first made, that was over 20 years ago - it just doesnt cut the mustard anymore. Modern VAG, BMW, Ford and Fiat engines sex wee all over the K series.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
We're such a negative bunch lol, It's a great hoot to drive. A bit on the pricey side and needs a modern diesel engine. It's not a bad car, just not a great one currently. I'd be happy with a 6, just not the current running costs

·
Passionate about MGR.Cars.
4,082 Posts
What running costs are too high? Are we just talking fuel costs? I',ve driven the TSE & thought it was a very good drive indeed & imo good value as the spec is good for a sub £20K car.
Total lack of accessories though & I made this point when I popped in my local MG dealer last Thursday & there just happened to be a guy from Longbridge in there!!

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
'MG' needed to relaunch with a bang imo. If they didn't have a full line up of engines, they shouldn't have released the car. A monster engined 'MG'6 should have had the full on body kit etc and they should have advertised it everywhere. It would at least have made people take notice. Line the showrooms with the less powerfull petrol and derv models which would be the main sellers. The halo 6 would get people and the press interested which in turn would get people in showrooms. I still cannot understand a 1 engine brand (not even that good an engine in todays market). It would be bad enough to relaunch a single model with 1 engine option but this was supposed to be the relaunch of MG production.

·
Registered nUber
2,259 Posts
What running costs are too high? Are we just talking fuel costs? I',ve driven the TSE & thought it was a very good drive indeed & imo good value as the spec is good for a sub £20K car.
Total lack of accessories though & I made this point when I popped in my local MG dealer last Thursday & there just happened to be a guy from Longbridge in there!!
Real world MPG figures are lower than a 180.

I found it pleasant enough to drive (apart from the seat base did not tilt back and felt like a slide), in a diesel for a company car the TSE spec would be a good choice. As a personal car the 1.8 TSE is under powered, un-economical and far too mundane for my liking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts