MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MG ZR-X & MG ZR X210 Owner
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the metal 52mm Throttle body to replace the 48mm plastic one on my VVC.

Anybody got a copy of the relevant technical info on introducing it to the mems J2.

I've herd two different story's.

1. ignition on, pump throttle 12 times and start.
2. ignition on, pump throttle 5 times wait 20 secs and switch off.

G

·
BRM494 - ask the guys over on MGF board - they have discussed this. Or ask Ivan of Kernahans - I'm sure they will help. :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
Throttle body

BRM 494
Told you when you asked the question in the workshop the other day that option 2 would re - initialise your throttle settings

Martin.

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Martin,

Thanks for the confirmation.

In the end I went for

Run engine up to temp.
Switch off
Wait 10 Secs
Switch Ign to position II
Pump throttle fully 5 times rapidly wait 5 secs
Start engine

This seems to be ok, How would I know if it was not ?

I had the car on the Toolbox after and no faults reported.

Now what do you know about MEMS 2J modified maps ?

Kevin,

The performance difference is most noticable !! The more air you get through it the more fuel goes in. The more fuel you get in the better it goes (and the less mpg you get !). I'll report on this after a couple of weeks.

Off course the better suspension setup, general apperance and all round handling of the BRM make this mod most beneficial. How many ZR's have been made ? :p

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevin,

Yes, Thanks Very Much. Nice demonstration of the superior handling mentioned above !!

Nice presentation, shame its a bit short. Next time we go to Brooklands must get Tiff to autgraph it !

Thanks, :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
(Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've only just registered...)

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the 48mm alloy body and the 52mm one? Short of taking it off and just measuring the butterfly? :)

I ask as I had a few problems early on with my VVC :( which caused the dealer to replace several parts (ecu, throttle body, stepper motor to mention but a few) and they changed the plastic unit for an alloy one...

Just wondered which one it was as the technician did say the new one was worth about 120 quid.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Throttle body

25 GTi
Next time you go to the dealers lift the bonnet of a ZR 160 & have a look. Their is a slight external difference but it's hard to explain & i don't have a digital camera for a photo.

·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
25 GTi,

The 52mm has a part no stamped on one of the square edges and from memory ends 261. Next time I open the bonnet on the BRM (=25GTi, but a bit quicker :D ) I'll get the orientation and full number off it.

Regards,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks guys,

Having done some research (and read the MGF Gossip page where it talks about replacing the throttle body) I have determined that I have the 48mm TB - part # MHB000080. :(

Guess it was too much to hope for really, that the dealer would have done a 'free' upgrade!

But at least it's not the plastic one... ;)

Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts