MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Now in a 3
4,092 Posts
They now have a 2.0L Turbo engine in production with 124bhp, but so far they have only put it in this oversized MG3:

Sure that's 124bhp from a 2 litre turbo?

Doesn't seem much. Mazda 2.0L nasp is 150bhp. And that was in my 2005 Mazda 3

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
After a couple of false starts, am picking up the 3 tomorrow!

Mine is on left:

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
whey,bout time eh buddy?..........:)
Seems ages since I ordered but it was only Sept 22nd, less than 24hrs to go, its like waiting for Santa LOL!

I know the couple buying the other white one too - another MG nut!

< Added my bit to the collection tin too.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Only just come aross this thread . . . . . and the suspense is killing me even with you collecting the car today!

I can only remember seing photos these in the black and white camo testing set up until reading here. Your car is very cutesy with its stripe and the car in the middle looks really good in the metallic red too.

Hope the little car will look after you well for years to come. Make sure to update with a review after the first month of living with the new addition.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Good luck with it gary hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as your zs .
Cheers mate, another half hour or so and we'll be on the way.

Reports off other owners seem good so far

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Picked up this pm, looks great in the flesh, very enjoyable drive home of about 25 miles with detour. Drives really nice, no chance to give it some as it now only has 40 miles on clock. Suspension feels just a little softer than the ZS, would think once run in perfoance will be about same as ZS (mines a 120)

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Looking good Gary.
Bet you're chuffed. :yup:
Very, mate.
Lovely to drive, have a feeling the paint will be blinding in sunshine, its a really bright white. Looks to be a really good finish too.
Just need to add one or two bits but nothing major planned

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
How's it compare with the ZS?

Those graphics look really good in real life, seem to be nicely applied too...
Very similar to the ZS, feels a bit like the 25 we had but with more room for your feet.
May one day drop the headlining to add some dynamat, as roof sounds tinny when you tap it, so must add to noise in cabin.
Would say doors and tailgate feel a lot more solid than ZS, someone came out for a nosey at it at work yesterday and commented on the weight of the bonnet - I hadn't even opened it at that point! Does feel pretty weighty so guess its a good thickness.
As far as I have seen the graphics appear well applied, no signs of bubbles, wrinkles etc, as you would expect but not necessarily get.
You get the impression that its not a 10k car, feels like they have set that price to make sure it sells, look at Dacia reports and though the car is good there always seems to be comments re cheapness.
I honestly see nothing wrong with interior, its a nice clean design, appears solid, maybe I am missing something.
Heater seems a little complex, but am used to cars with three knobs - one each for temp, where you want it blowing and how hard. No doubt something I will get used to. Temp does seem to vary a little, think I have seen this mentioned in at least one review. Its like it tries too hard to match temp you have asked for, like its thinking "ooh a little bit warm, no wait a little bit cooler, oh hang on, a bit warmer". Maybe something that could be addressed with a future upgrade. Being picky though - its not exactly fluctuating by 10 degrees, just enough that you sometimes notice it.
Gear change display is small and not exactly in eye line. No problem as I wouldnt pay attention to it anyway!LOL
I did think that gear knob felt very small but 40 miles use and it feels fine.
Not criticising the ZS - still have it and still love it, but that was three months old and cost £12k back in '02, the 3 is brand new and cost £10k. Tbh they are worlds apart in what you get. Only time will tell reliability wise but the ZS hasn't exactly been trouble free - door handles, front seat mounts, hgf, some "delicate" bits of trim, badges delaminating...
Only one bad point so far, handbook and its wallet - some of the printing is odd, with letters joined together and some pidgin english, no problem, its just "there". The wallet on first inspection looks great, then you notice the MG badge is slightly askew, then the magnets and small metal discs have come adrift inside it somehow so it does click shut. I think there is thick cardoard inside with holes to accommodate the magnets / plates. They have gambled on the holes being of a size that the magnets will jam into. Seems this plan isnt quite good enough and there should have been some glue involved! Both these probs are more of a reflection of the producers of the items, rather than MG. I guess they are made by the equivalent of H Bloggs Printers down the high street. The quick guide is useful and nicely produced, am guessing by someone else, or at least a different team behind it.
Its got to say something when only grumble is the handbook, after the first week or two nobody looks at it anyway!

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
You get the impression that its not a 10k car, feels like they have set that price to make sure it sells, look at Dacia reports and though the car is good there always seems to be comments re cheapness.
It is cheaper in some other countries, mainly South America, which makes me think they are going to be making a reasonable profit on them in the UK given that China has paid for the development by selling thousands every month.

Thanks for the review.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
No problem.

Realised today that I failed completely to mention the main criticism of most reports - the engine.
Have to say if the 3 is supposed to have a gruff, wheezy, asthmatic engine, as some mags portray it, then I had better write to MG!
They seem to have fitted something different to mine as none of those words seem applicable. Was ok to start with but just 60 miles or so has improved it already, ok its not a tarmac ripper but tbh it'll be fine for me. My mother has a 1.6 Ford Fusion and this cars 1.5 feels far superior to that.
I can fairly comfortably predict that given a few thousand miles it'll be a great little engine.
Just been talking to dealer to order some bits and told them that I feel lucky to own it, I have fallen completely in love with it already. As long as nothing major goes wrong I can see this little car being another long termer for me.
All things are subjective but I think she looks wonderful and makes me smile when driving her. The only niggle (and am sure its something I will get used to) is the coolant temperature light - having a blue light on dash at night just makes me think I have full beam on, in fairness though it does soon go out. Probably within half a mile or so.
Theres nothing imo that makes you think "oh well, its a 10k car" thats quite an achievement.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts