MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow, a first post first for me!

Taking a 3 for test drive on Sunday. Really like the look of it but not actually seen one in the flesh yet

·
Registered
281 Posts
Im really thinking about buying one, let us know what you think Gary :)

My nearest MG garage is about 80 miles away you see!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Saw one at Tetbury Classic show the other week. Can't say I was impressed tbh. Looks like so many others out there. For god's sake, MG's past reputation of producing a sportier version needs to be reinvented as a matter of urgency. So boring looking.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't think sportier ones are coming - the Chinese just bought the name MG, not necessarily the philosophy behind the badge.
I actually like it in the pics, with certain colours / decal options they look pretty good.
TBH if I like it in the metal as much as I do on paper I may well be tempted - not had a brand newie before (though the ZS was very close).
At less than £10k at least the value hasn't got too huge a way to plummet! LOL
Appears that internal dimensions are same as ZS but with more head room all round and larger rear legroom.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I guess it's ok if your looking at buying with a view of keeping it for ages. I can't see it holding residual values like other marques though. Bit of a gamble I think especially where some marques offer a lifetime warranty.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I guess it's ok if your looking at buying with a view of keeping it for ages. I can't see it holding residual values like other marques though. Bit of a gamble I think especially where some marques offer a lifetime warranty.
Had the ZS for very nearly 11 years, so if its good keeping long term shouldn't be a prob.

Takes a while for me to get bored of a car. Had an MG Maestro very nearly ten years too.

If all goes well on TD and I decide to take the plunge, this may become my latest MG:

(wheels are photoshopped on, so ignore wonky back one!)

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im really thinking about buying one, let us know what you think Gary :)

My nearest MG garage is about 80 miles away you see!
Think my nearest is about 15 with another about 25 miles away, compared with most people its like living in the dealers :)

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Don't forget to change down, make use of the variable cam timing and take it up to the rev limiter if you want it to accelerate! Top gear is for fuel economy, not acceleration.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't forget to change down, make use of the variable cam timing and take it up to the rev limiter if you want it to accelerate! Top gear is for fuel economy, not acceleration.
To me thats what a little hot hatch is all about - giving it some thrap!
I really cant wait for Sunday, same anticipation I had before trying the.ZS, just hope its big enough or at least the steering wheel isnt resting on my knees.
Some good pics on Gizmag (cant manage a link with this ipad d'oh!) from presentation at design centre.
Can see me ordering one, which is as much of a surprise to me as anyone else!

·
Now in a 3
4,092 Posts
Hopefully be doing a thumb-up myself tomorrow pm!
I keep driving past rivervales and have got out and had a good look at theirs.

It looks good in the flesh, the pictures of the interior doesn't do reality any favours.

Can't comment on how it drives but lots of press reviews are calling it a warm hatch, which for less than £10k makes it the bees knees IMO.

Good luck this afternoon, hope you like it,

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I keep driving past rivervales and have got out and had a good look at theirs.

It looks good in the flesh, the pictures of the interior doesn't do reality any favours.

Can't comment on how it drives but lots of press reviews are calling it a warm hatch, which for less than £10k makes it the bees knees IMO.

Good luck this afternoon, hope you like it,
Never read a review before buying the ZS and that worked out ok! ZS is only a 120 and have been more than happy with that.
Setting off in an hour, should be over and back at garage for 2pm (they are booking 30min slots) so should know by then.
Lots to think of though, big thing being the money, or rather finance of some sort. Plus is that I have a trade in worth approx. half the cost, so only need finance for somewhere between £4-5k.
Everything else would be better than the Vitara, road tax, economy, performance (unless the engine is as poor as some make out), insurance etc.
On looks in pics I'd order now, but that would just be the work of a madman! :daft:
Looked at a fair few cars lately and first one to grab me like that, so must be a good sign I guess.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well......

Had test drive.....

And.....

Bought one!
Love the look of it in the flesh, interior space wise very similar to ZS, though have been spoilt with the Vit for the past year.
Not the fastest thing on the road but pulled ok uphill with three adults on board.
I wouldnt describe the engine as rough, ok you can hear it but to me its a nice enough sound.
Proper size spare wheel well so one of the spares off my ZS may well end up living there (aerosol / comp are std fit)
Having a white 3Form Sport with mod oct decals.

Have even just splashed out on a private plate!

Cannot get a better review than someone buying one!

Guess I am officially a convert now

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Nice one gary glad your happy it and for the money you cant complain for a brand new motor . I think they look ok but the performance is a big no no for me but as long as your happy mate that's all that counts .

·
Registered
281 Posts
Awesome Gary, i know you are not one to mince your words either so this raises my value of the car greatly.

Kepp us posted :)

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
An MG3 related one?

Congratulations :clap:

How long is the waiting list?
"Possible" delivery in Oct. But not concrete, should be this year at least!

Got reg AM63 FUN, looks like "A MG3" on plate, so ideal for the car (maybe MGUK will sponsor me?)

To his credit knowing I was looking at a 6 as well, sales guy said he could source a TSE for me. Trouble is I don't know whether I am of really freaky proportions but theres not enough headroom for me ( 3 is great in that respect)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts