MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Borrowed a 2000 *** 318i from work to go and pick up a 1.6 K series engine which I accidentally blew up :eek: :eek: :eek:

Didn't want to use my beautiful car for this job and this Beemer was a pool car for the moment so I thought I'd get a little revenge for all the poor neglected Rovers out there!!!!

Must confess that the BM has a fabulous chassis that you are able to dial in as much oversteer as you wish at speeds of around 100MPH in confidence!!! Just by using the throttle to change the attitude of the car. It never feels dodgy either. Coming off the throttle tucks the nose in, whilst flooring it runs it a little wide. Fantastic fun.

However, then going into a fast slip road onto the M25, the car almost jacknifed on me without much warning. I can only put this down to the 90 Kilos or so of K series engine hanging over the back wheels acting like a pendulum. Porsche 911 syndrome! I was on the power and it was not at a particularly high speed.

I think the fact that it was good was that it was dry and hot, I get the feeling that in the wet, things would be a little more hairy!!

Anyway, I have recently been in a 4 of these cars and they all seem to have the same pretty nasty defects:

At around 80 - 95 MPH juddering from rear of car like wheels are out of balance. On a motorway cruise, very annoying.

Whine from rear diff/propshaft on light throttle or slight overrun. Very loud and intrusive when a passenger in the rear! :mad:

Sticking throttle due to excessive carbon build up on throttle butterfly.

8 valve breathless engine that sounds very rattly and not too disimilar from Ford CVH lumps in fiestas of old - Not exactly a nice K series humm/whine.

OK so the last one is not a defect but more of a standard issue on a 318i.

No AC or sunroof either on a car with a list price of around 19.5 K :eek: :eek:

Matt.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Matt,

A friend who owns an E30 M3 says in no uncertain terms - It's a nightmare in the wet.

Apparently it's something you get used to when you own a beemer!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
M3

Best mate also owns an M3 and said its a complete Ba###rd in the wet. Also his rear silencer has gone so £900 lighter he has ordered a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

G

·
If you've got 340 bhp hardly suprising, altghough the new model is much better. If 340's bad what will 385 be like???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts