MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ahhh. It's good to be back.....
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As you might know - I have sold my 180. I will get a ZT for my everyday use but to **** of my wife I want to stick a track day project car in the garden.

I told her and she said "oh just do what you want" so I took that as a "yes love go ahead and enjoy yourself" :driving:

I am itching to buy some old do-er upper. Seen a good high mileage 220 coupe with the T series turbo in. Is this going to better than the 200 bubble onwards VVC? Or would you recommend the coupe VVC? My knowledge isn't as good with these cars.

Because the car will only be a trackday one it can be taken apart and rebuilt by me (an absolute monkey) to my own timescales.

Which would be the best handling?

Or should I stuff both of them and buy an F or another ZS? I want to stick with MG as thats where my heart is so no-one come on and tell me to buy a Pug or Impreza! I don't care if they are faster - there will always be faster cars. This needs to be a labour of love type project.

As you can probably tell my mind is getting pretty scrambled by all these possibilities. I just want to get the right thing...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'd say either an MGF or a VVC metro, the metro is lighter than the 200, has better suspension (no struts) and has a ton of parts to make them race worthy as they have been racing them in many race series's for 30 years and still do.

That said for pure simplicity a ZS, stripped and put on coil overs (as lowering springs wont do much for a car 100kg lighter) is the most straight forward option.

I have found with the MR2 that old turbo cars become money pits to make good again, the coupe wont be reliable as a race car unless its spot on and even then its risking melting a piston.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
Yeah just get an old zs imo.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
For a track car I wouldn't bother wasting time with a coupe, the shell is way to flexible to make it handle decently.

I'd go for a VVC metro, they have a good power to weight ratio, and can be made to handle as well

·
Ahhh. It's good to be back.....
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where do i find a VVC metro? Do you mean the GTI? Or do I buy a metro then stick one in it?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Sorry, I should have made myself a bit clearer, vvc metros are all conversions from smaller engined versions, depending on your budget, it would be worth looking for converted ones, as it will almost certainly work out cheaper than buying a unconverted one then sourcing all the other bits to convert it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts