MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Kev

Been on all the local news here - they talk of 1000 jobs boost. Tremendous boost for Oxford and the community. Runaway success that sort of story. :D

Which it clearly is - the stories of the Yanks & Japs paying well over the odds to get their car!

I have to say I have always liked it - it was the *** debacle that incensed me and caused the cancellation f our Cooper and the MGF order. Mistake or Wise Decision? .

NB. Also as instrumental in my Rover 75 purchase. Excellent Car & Choice - not a single regret and the ZT's even more dynamically sorted.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It says that 4500 people work at the oxford plant,how does that compare to the rover days?????

4500 is getting back to the pre *** days of around 6000. Even further back, 20,000 was about the peak figure in the 70's. Then you still have to add the Abingdon MG figures, Unipart, Istel, Oxford Exhaust systems, and the myriad of local suppliers large and small. What is not mentioned is that production jobs are all thru agencies, and therefore offer no protection or job security to the galley slaves.

And let's not forget that it is still a novelty, no wonder the yanks et al will pay over the odds. And recent procurement developments mean it now has even less British componentry than the Belgium-assembled Mondeo.
The bubble will burst, I'm sorry to say. VERY wise (and patriotic, forward thinking, and practical) decision, Jerry. I commend your choices.

G

·
Dave
Here I am getting paint on the key board - trying to paint the outside windows.

I too have the heard that UK content of the car has dropped to 18% - I thought the gearbox was UK sourced, what about the shell and of course the labour fource?

On workers you talk of Oxford - what of Longbrodge - Speke - Browns Lane - Canley ect ect.

Finally, are WE saying that none of us would have bought the car if it had stayed MGR. I know I wouldn't have cancelled. Just a shame it's not in MGR showrooms with the ZED range. :(

I know Dave hates it with a vengence, but what of the rest of us - honest answers please!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Wife's painting the living room, and here I am typing around her, so I'll have a keyboard clean to do BTW!!
Gearbox is (at the mo) the PG1 derivative. Bodywork is bashed out at Cowley but the steel content is Polish IIRC, after the closure of Llanwern. Of course there were, the other plants, but I was recalling the Immidiate companies around Cowley. It really was an incredible sight in it's day....The place boiled with activity, I actually remember going around on an open day as a very small lad, and seeing Minor's on the L block final assy lines (That dates me!!!):eek:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Jerry and Dave, not related, trying to get hold of Mr Neal:

Kevin,

Are you going to Thruxton???

I have tried Private Messaging you but it says your mailbox is full up so will not accept any more messages.

Can you message me if you are going and maybe we can go in one car??

Matt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts