MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

i am new to all this forum stuff so i hope you gentle with me ;), i have had my zr since 2005 its the 1.4 but running @ 120 bhp.
i bought a zt 1.8t because the mazda 6 i had was just no fun i gave the zr to my girlfriend, and now want to spend some money on the zt, i would like a bov, k&n or simpler, full stainless with sports cat, and remap to start with.

i just carnt seem to find much for the 1.8t zt on the net and am a little unsure about turbo cars as this is my first one, any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated.

cheers
chaz

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The 1.8T is not a very common engine, it was introduced to temp people away from the Audi A4. MGR soon dropped it in favour of the 2.5 KV6 in 190bhp form (just to be a bit better than the ZS180).

You need to treat it just the same as any other K series and keep a keen eye on things like coolant, and if the head gasket starts to go get it sorted before it really fails.

Other than that they are meant to be good engines.

As for tunning just follow the same route as with a NASP K.

Z&F at Silversone maybe able able to help.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The 1.8T is not a very common engine, it was introduced to temp people away from the Audi A4. MGR soon dropped it in favour of the 2.5 KV6 in 190bhp form (just to be a bit better than the ZS180).

You need to treat it just the same as any other K series and keep a keen eye on things like coolant, and if the head gasket starts to go get it sorted before it really fails.

Other than that they are meant to be good engines.

As for tunning just follow the same route as with a NASP K.

Z&F at Silversone maybe able able to help.
I always thought the 1.8T K series was introduced for road tax problems the KV6 was giving people? - Cheaper to insure and tax than it's 6 pot brother

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
worked on 3 this week lol, in 75's right enough, just gotta watch what your doing id work on the engine internls at least put the uprated gasket on before you start trying to squeeze extra boost out the engine

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I always thought the 1.8T K series was introduced for road tax problems the KV6 was giving people? - Cheaper to insure and tax than it's 6 pot brother
The KV6 outlasted the 1.8T.

Even the KV6 had finished when labour started meesing around with road tax. It may have been a company car tax thing with a higher rate for over 2000cc.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The KV6 outlasted the 1.8T.

Even the KV6 had finished when labour started meesing around with road tax. It may have been a company car tax thing with a higher rate for over 2000cc.
they still fitted the 1.8turbo right up to the end james

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
they still fitted the 1.8turbo right up to the end james
The 1.8 turbo replaced the 2.0 KV6 for company car tax reasons, both the 1.8 turbo and the 2.5KV6 continued to the end of MGR. The 1.8 turbo is still fitted to the MG6, slightly modified.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
indeed:) 1.8 isnt as torquey as the 2.5 nor as nice driving, bit think if you weigh up head gasket aposed to timing belts on the k compared to the kv6 then i think they about even out unless your doing the work yourself

1 - 11 of 11 Posts